Mk3 Shaved Moldings; New to Supras

Sabata

May 15, 2007
Minnesota
Hey supra people, I just got my supra a few weeks ago and it is in pretty bad shape. The HG are fine for the minute though, and everything else seems to be working.

However, my Supra is in pretty beat up shape, the moldings were flopping and peeling off so me and my dad decided to do a shaved look and repaint the car. Here is the second day of work.

Welding metal strips sans rubber molding:
monkey0125bn8.jpg

The car at the end of the day:
monkey0129rf8.jpg

Driverside first layer bondo.
zoomei9.jpg

Anyway, I hope to be finished with this project by this next month, bondo'd, sanded, painted and dropped. Greetings to all.

Last edited:

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
that looks pretty good. ive been thinking of doing that myself. what thickness metal did you use. do you have any pics of the back?

Sabata

May 15, 2007
Minnesota
bmoss85 said:
that looks pretty good. ive been thinking of doing that myself. what thickness metal did you use. do you have any pics of the back?

unfortunately you can't weld sheetmetal onto the back, you'd have to keep the rubber piece. The back panel is made of plastic or something and is unweldable.

uglymk3

Mar 25, 2007
Cincinnati
If you could get me a small amount of info on materials used and everything that would be great... My car is missing pretty much all the molding and I'd like to go with that kinda look.. Thanks and nice work thus far.. GL with it

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
are you gonna try and sand down the molding in the back or just leave it the way it is. id like to see some pics of the back to get and idea of what it looks like. ive seen other cars wirh the molding shaved but have never seen the back of one

If that is rust I see over the rear wheel, you may want to strip the rear hatch and check for rust on the inside wheel well (under the tar pitch) as this is a common issue with Supras... you may just find that there is a big hole hiding under the panel and pitch in the well. I'm sure you'd hate to have to repaint the car in a year or so after the rust rears its ugly head again.
Then again, you may have already done it!
Good luck with your project.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
the reason i haven't shaved all the molding is because i hate the look without the side markers. if/when i do decide to shave them, i'll keep the markers in place. it just looks weird without them.

lookin' good, though. :)

-shaeff

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
why does it look narrow to me? anyways looks good man, gotto get rid of them sawblades tho.