Minimize brake squeal with chamfer?

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
Getting ready to change brake pads and rotors since I've got the front hubs apart for the wheel bearings and had a quick question:

I've had Brembo rotors on the past few years with Porterfield R4-S pads and they've always squealed under light pressure at lower speeds (never been bothersome, I've just figured it was the pad compound and dealt with it). This time I picked up some Napa Premium blanks and another set of R4-S pads, but ordered new wishbone/anti-squeal springs and pad support plates since the old springs are either gone or almost. Also, the anti-squeal shims/backing plates are nonexistent. Didn't know how important these backing plates were in the whole operation, but since I've been running the past few years without full sets I was just going to let it go.

I was wondering, however, if I could chamfer the leading and trailing edges of the Porterfields to mimic EBC's pads. I've heard that a chamfered edge cuts down on chatter/squeal but would like to ask people with a little more knowledge before I ground up some brand new pads on the belt sander.

Thanks!

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
I've got some orange CRC brake quiet in a bottle, but I thought that was to adhere the pads to the steel backing plates. Can I put a coating on the back and just let it cure before installation if I don't have the plates? I might have to look for that Permatex, thanks for the tip!

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I've never used the CRC stuff, but as long as it's sticky stuff that's high temp resistant and never really dries, it should do the same thing. I've used Permetex without the thin anti squeal shims before with good results.