Mine's Tuned ECU problem (1JZ-GTE)

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
I recently purchased a used Mine's ECU for the 1JZ-GTE from ebay. The guy said it was tuned for stock injectors, stock cams, and stock turbos. So it should work perfectly with my Supra.

So here's what I did. Unplugged the stock ECU, plugged in the Mine's ECU (all connections were secure). Then started the car. But the Supra was idling weird. It would constantly jump from 1500 to 2000, then back to 1500 endlessly.

When I put my old ECU back in, the idling went back to normal (700rpm), and the car drove like normal.

So am I doing something wrong? Or can the ECU be reset?

makaveli913

1jz and lovin it
Nov 20, 2007
Pueblo Co
Open it up and see if any of the capacitors are leaking. I bet one of them is. My Mine's ecu had a leaking cap and it had no power. Sent it to driftmotion and now it works flawless. Idels at 700-1000 rpms. I have no idea what its tuned for and i heard the only way to check is to send it to the factory in japan. It is a hell of alot beter than the stock one. The boost kicks in hard at 3k rpms

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
OK, i'll open it and take a look around.

If that's not the case, I've also gotten the suggestion to check out the IACV, and to just let the car idle and see if the ECU need to "learn" my vehicle.

I'll inform you all tomorrow on the happens. God...why can't anything work with me?

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
def. check the capacitors my car was running like crap, it was idling just like you said for a while then a couple of weeks later it just craps out on me while I am idling at a stop light. I sent it to dm and had it fixed right up.

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
Here are some pictures of the ECU. Everything looks pretty healthy on the inside, no broken capacitors that I can see.

I am going to go re-install it back in the Supra now and let it idle for over 5 minutes to see what happens.

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
I tried to lift up the first board, but it seemed stuck. I didn't feel like breaking any little irreplaceable pieces of plastic, so I didn't force it and I left it. I'm in the process of testing it out again.

The car idle very erratically now and the check engine light come on also.

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
On second try, now the car idles more erratically and the check engine light comes on periodically, which it never before. I tried to upload the video made from my shitty cell phone, but when I upload it, the audio does not work. Sounds like someone is bouncing on a pogo-stick in the background....

EDIT: And google video has no audio....

View My Video

Google Video with no sound

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
Went for a quick test drive. The engine did not sound like it was having a very healthy time. It was constantly backfiring and violently changing RPMs like my input from the gas pedal meant very little.

...Any suggestions?....

makaveli913

1jz and lovin it
Nov 20, 2007
Pueblo Co
It has to be the capacitors. Send it in. I was gona say maybe it has to warm up. on cold mornings mine idles at 1500 but if its doing all that it has to have a blown capacitor. Driftmotion will get it fixed and even test it.

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
I opened the ECU and took it completely apart. I could not find any blown capacitors. The thing looks brand new on the inside.

This is quite the baffling mystery....

My stock ECU only take 30 seconds of somewhat rough idling before its 100% again, so I don't think its an issue of relearning anything. I think this ECU must be tuned for something else other than a stock 1JZ. I'll take another look at the inside of the ECU for a blown capacitor, but I don't think I'll find any.

I may just ask the guy on ebay (who is from Japan) for my money back, and he can have his crappy Mine's ECU back. I've still got the box it came in.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
Sam;1145298 said:
I opened the ECU and took it completely apart. I could not find any blown capacitors. The thing looks brand new on the inside.

This is quite the baffling mystery....

My stock ECU only take 30 seconds of somewhat rough idling before its 100% again, so I don't think its an issue of relearning anything. I think this ECU must be tuned for something else other than a stock 1JZ. I'll take another look at the inside of the ECU for a blown capacitor, but I don't think I'll find any.

I may just ask the guy on ebay (who is from Japan) for my money back, and he can have his crappy Mine's ECU back. I've still got the box it came in.

Just read this, looks like it's either tuned for other than stock or it is defective. You should be able to get a refund since you bought it from ebay via their buyers protection. Good luck.

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
yah, I agree, buying a tuned ECU when you don't know the car it came out of, or the exact specs for sure is a gamble. It is probably setup for bigger injectors or something, so you should try to get your money back.

Andre

Feb 4, 2006
Netherlands
Hmm strange

I think the ecu is bad

Why?

Because if the mines is still tuned for like bigger ijectors (550 most of the time) the car wil stil idle fine and drive fine butt when you hoit the gapedal itt wil run very rich

I have no issue with idle with my mines with stock injectors 550 are 680CC

My car just idle fine (1JZ ecu has like 40% of idle correction) from the lamda/o2 sensor

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
did you look under the 2nd board...

if you have bad capacitors it should look like this, or similar.
p1146356_1.jpg

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
Yes, I did end up looking under the second board. All the capacitors looked healthy (to me anyways). If there was a bad capacitor, I probably missed it.

The ECU is back on its way to Japan as we speak. Mr. Shu is going to send me a Blitz Access ECU now. And if that doesn't work, well then, I suppose I'll get my money back. Good old eBay.