Military Body Armor

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
Nick M said:
Viscous coupling fluid hardens when heated, and liquifies when cooled.

i thought that when heated viscous fluid thinned and the plates contacted and transferred power through direct friction....

but thats just me... :icon_conf

PROJECT N00b

XBL: Mkiii DriFt3r
May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
from what i read...the suits gel hardens when an energy current is run through it. example, if a bullet hit the suit, the energy from the bullets impact would make the suit gel react very fast and harden so that there would be no penetration.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
stanzaspeed said:
i thought that when heated viscous fluid thinned and the plates contacted and transferred power through direct friction....

but thats just me... :icon_conf

In a fan clutch?

I don't know if that is how this suit works. It just sounds like a viscous coupler used in many automotive applications.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Here is the "public" info side of this.
http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,usa3_042104.00.html

Cool thing is from what I hear, this stuff is being used right now, it can be applied to any fabric, and even clothes you currently have. (Just soak the clothes in this, dry and your good to go.)

Do not know about how long it holds up, but if they combine it into the weave of the fabric, and then weave the fabric to be more of a "mesh" so it's thicker, from what I hear, that will stop most handgun bullets, and some rifle rounds as well.

The motorcycle jacket/pants applications are awesome too. They weave it into a "X" type mesh, that air flows through really well, but upon you hitting anything, the impact force is turned into heat, the "X" pattern firms up, and distrubutes the load across a wider area. This will also protect you from broken bones and internal injuries too.

Give you guys an example. Soak thin, body tight clothes like "under armor" tights. This can be worn under anything, and it would be bullet proof, and in an accident, protect you from impact and fractured bones.

Just as cool.. Add a layer of this between your door trim panel and the door shell. On impact it becomes a wide hardend area to disperse energy from side impacts. (Might save your life.) Coat it onto window film.. does the same thing on impact, makes your glass hold up better...

Possibilities of this stuff are just starting to be seen.