Military Body Armor

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
Apparently this guy made something called a "bear suit" that I can only assume protects hunters from bears. He talked to military people about how he could make body armor to protect them. It's actually an interesting set up and I wonder if it would ever be implemented.

He offered to let them shoot at him but they turned it down. :icon_mad:

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/media_archive/jan-11-2007_a.html

RHDMK3

that's it!
Sep 30, 2006
Salem, Oregon
Thats some straight up Star Wars type shit! Looks cool, though I dont think it would be practical in a urban desert type combat environment. Be interesting to see though.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
When I went "in-country" to the middle east, they specifically told us that you will use the body armor they issue to you, and that dragon-skin is NOT an alternative. They specifically prohibited us from using it. They didn't give us a reason, and they may not have a real reason. Maybe it is for liability purposes, and maybe it is because dragon skin won't protect against certain things?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
JustAnotherVictim said:
I recall reading somewhere that there was armor being developed that would be soft unless something hit it. Upon impact the liquid would harden and it was made from a mixture of syrup and other things.
I'll have to find the article when I get home.

What do you think AWD is? That is how a viscous coupling works, and your fan clutch also. When you heat it, it solidifies.

If the soldier is immoblized by it, he will take it off on his own.

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
JustAnotherVictim said:
I recall reading somewhere that there was armor being developed that would be soft unless something hit it. Upon impact the liquid would harden and it was made from a mixture of syrup and other things.
I'll have to find the article when I get home.

I read that same article too a while back...The suit would be soft and flexible so the user can move his body comfortably but upon an impact it hardens to cushion the shock. I think they plan to use it on cylists helmets because it is uncomfortable to wear hard helmets for long periods.The new helmets would be soft and if the rider falls it wouuld harden to protect his/her head.

Cheers,
Roy