Mid Life crises Project 89 supra 7mgte

canadian mole

Sep 27, 2007
Kelowna BC
Hello all About 1.5 years ago I bought a 89 supra from a guy who had heard noises in the engine and stopped driving the car. He could not afford to fix it as he was going back to school and I having finished reno's on my house was board and having always wanted to rebuild an engine In a weakened mid life crises type of a moment bought the car and had it towed home.

There it sat for about 6 months and then I pulled the engine out and took it apart. The engine did not look in great shape and had spun a bearing on the cam. I waited for a while and then bought a JDM motor. I have now torn down this engine and taken the head in to be ported and polished 1mm over with all new valves,etc and 264 cams from the group buy.

On the bottom end new rods and pistons not sure what yet will have to do more digging into the best ones for my aplication.

I am hoping to get about 450-500 hp or enough to blow the doors off my best friends corvette who has been bugging me for the last year about how at least his car runs. I got some parts with the car when I bought it and I will also be looking to add to this.

Any helpful advise would be greatly appreciated on what has worked for you or something that I may have missed. Above all else i want a reliable car that I can drive for fun.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
looks like you got a nice build ahead of you hoping to see pictures. theres alot of info here to make that amount of power.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
You click on the image from your album then look for the box I circled, click inside the box and it will automatically copy whats in the box, then copy it into the comment box on here.
2ufwnzm.jpg

canadian mole

Sep 27, 2007
Kelowna BC
The sad thing is that I have never drivin a supra I rode in one years ago. so the ony time I have been behind the wheel of this thing was when I was rolling it onto the trailer to tow it to my house. Will make it even sweeter when I do i am sure.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Nice!...I'd give the turbo a go and see what happens..Worst case you'd have to buy a new one. You'll have to bypass the coolant lines as the turbo is only oil cooled.

canadian mole

Sep 27, 2007
Kelowna BC
Ok so the head and block are in the Machine shop and I am starting to shop for parts so I can order them as soon as they tell me the sizes i need. Here is what I am looking to do please let me know if I left anything out or should make some changes.

HEAD WORK

Head ported and polished
1mm oversized valves Brian Crower
with new Valve Spring/Titanium Retainer Kit
264 Brian Crower cams

BLOCk

New rods and Pistons Eagle Rods/JE Pistons
Balanced
New oil pump

Or I was looking at doing Brian Crower rods and pistons just to say it was all from him.

Any thoughts on what has or has not worked for you please let me know. Thanks

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Glad to see this thing is going to be running soon. Ive scoped this thing while driving by and noticed the no front bumper and no engine hence the 4x4 front end :biglaugh:

canadian mole

Sep 27, 2007
Kelowna BC
ChrisC;1371124 said:
Glad to see this thing is going to be running soon. Ive scoped this thing while driving by and noticed the no front bumper and no engine hence the 4x4 front end :biglaugh:

And yet you never stopped in to ask if you could help. LOL:icon_razz

Just read your build awsome work inspired me to get out in the garage and start the prep work while my engine is being rebuilt. hoping to have mine on the road by May long weekend.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
canadian mole;1371387 said:
And yet you never stopped in to ask if you could help. LOL:icon_razz

Just read your build awsome work inspired me to get out in the garage and start the prep work while my engine is being rebuilt. hoping to have mine on the road by May long weekend.

haha ill stop by one of these days a check your ride out! May long weekend!? or do you mean aug long?

canadian mole

Sep 27, 2007
Kelowna BC
May long and i think I saw you running around tonight. Still waiting for info from the engine builders so I can order parts. Who did you use in town to do your work?

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
you more then likely spotted me. I used okanagan engine rebuilders, and i only talk to Gerry about my machine work. Hes a great machinest and knows his stuff about 7m's.

Last edited:

canadian mole

Sep 27, 2007
Kelowna BC
Small update just ordered all the parts to rebuild engine and I have already checked the ups tracking twice to see if it has moved.

Waiting for parts to arrive has to be the hardest part.:icon_razz