*MHG Reuse*

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I'm going to reuse my HKS Stopper MHG in this build and would like to discuss any experiences, tips, or general info that people may have on the subject!

Please no "My cousin's brother's girlfriends neighbours saw Ferris collapse at 31 flavours while reusing a MHG" posts thanks!

If you've done the job jump in and share!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Justin: It's not bad in anyway.

It's a $400 gasket and "should" be reusable I just wanted to discuss options for removing the Viton coating and what people have used as a sealer and so on!

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
Ian, I reused a cometic and HKS with no ill effects.. and i believe the stopper has a beefier fire ring so you should be good to go.

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
I am on the 3rd round with this bead2.0 HKS, its been in 16 months this time, no problems, I use permatex copper gasket spray on it and between layers. Just get it real clean and coat it good , let it set up for a few b4 bolting down.

Later.... Ken

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
I used a 3m green rubber bristle disc on my die grinder IIRC. then cleaned it with carb cleaner spray, then soap and water, then copper spray.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005

Was thinking maybe some type of paint stripper/solvent then Paint thinner followed by Prepsol and a coat of Copper Spray!

Don't really want to hit it with anything abrasive or spinning just in case!

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
If that stuff will soften up the viton, you can use a plastic razor blade or scraper on it, the bristle disc more leaves rubber on gasket than takes metal off, then carb cleaner cleaned the rubber off the gasket, I work at Toyota dealer, so I always use the rubber discs on the aluminum heads, and the rougher brown discs on the block when I do head gaskets.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
SS and Pimp: Description of the prep work done before refitting please?

Just curious as it will help me in the short term and everyone else doing this in the long term!

There's NOT a lot of information on this on the web that I can find so I'll play with different solvents here and see what I can come up with but I don't want to be reinventing the wheel if someone else here has a system that works! :)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
IJ - Brake cleaner works really well ;) Acetone works too.
Use a fine 3M pad for the last touch up...it won't harm the steel.

Brake Quiet seem to work quite well as a sealer....I'm sure the copper spray will be fine too though.

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Not to hijack, however I also have a question also:

I put a HKS MHG on a block and damaged the head during the rebuild. The head has been torqued to 85 ft.lbs. but never saw a spark and is still sitting on the engine stand. I have to replace the head now. Would this gasket be alright for reuse. The reason I am asking is that, even without the heat of the engine, the pressure from torquing the bolts make have caused the gasket to seal.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Hey IJ, just as a precaution, it would not hurt to mic the gasket in various places and compare to a new gasket to check for un even crush. Also, with out the rubber, and being seated once, you may lose a little crush on the used gasket. A little extra ft lbs on the head studs may be in order to make up.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Chris: While I've been researching this I've come across a few mentions for motors that get pulled down often (ie: Race Motors) That you can spray the MHG with CRC before installation and it will stop the rubber adhering to either surface!

Rich: There really shouldn't be any crush at all other than if it had beads before installation?