MGS4 Review

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
drunk_medic;1062392 said:
In this guy's opinion, what is the greatest game of all time?

I'd like to think its pocket pool where he is the visiting team. Bloody wanker!

I for one still love the game, and feel it was worth every penny. I dont give a rats dirty balls about a critic with a short attention span has to say.....:3d_frown:

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Heh, as a critic, he's dead on most, if not all of the time, sure the fanboys dont like it, but he's a critic, so he doesnt care. It's his JOB to point out the shortfalls in the game.

My buddy and i played this round someones house....i say play, i mean, watch endless cutscenes designed to appease the rabid fans - after an hour and a half of cutscenes and horrendously badly coded gameplay, we decided to give up and play Resistance: Fall of Man instead.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
I have a theory:

There's three types of people in the world: Those who love MGS, those who hate MGS, and those who are going to hate MGS.

Comments? Concerns?

:biglaugh:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Being that I like to talk game design and used to actively develop games, it's made me very critical of games.

Modern games are more about being pretty than good gameplay. At least for the most part.

Oddly enough he absolutely hates World of Warcraft (and most games like it), but I kinda enjoy it (it's better than watching paint dry). Other than that, I agree with his reviews.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
No, only one that isn't clearly paid off.

I love the magazine reviews that praise the game and have full page ads for the game as well. Think they're a little biased?

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
Poodles;1063189 said:
No, only one that isn't clearly paid off.

I love the magazine reviews that praise the game and have full page ads for the game as well. Think they're a little biased?

Sooooo THIS jackass doesnt get paid to be overly critical about something that he could never even imagine being able to create let alone actually create it?

Please he gets paid just the same...he gets paid from his "hits" from people saying "oh this guy hates X game go look at his video".

As for his review its a joke. I see his "problems" with the games were basically:

1) He has no attention span whatsoever
2) He cant comprehend the plot/story
3) He is so used to FPS that he cant control a 3PS for shit and complains that it takes an extra button to ready a gun (which IMO makes it more realistic)
4) Hes a retard

I think that about covers it.

And whoever said MGS4 was "horribly coded gameplay" wtf? Im sorry you have an attention span of a 2 year old and cant sit still for 20 minutes to enjoy something.

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
A game is supposed to be fun, not seem like work.

Sitting around waiting to play is boring, but just because you're a fanboy means you won't understand such criticism...

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Wow, you really must have ADD Poodles. It's pretty apparent YOUR a fan boy yourself.. so you can't see through this bs review.

Well, it's nice to know you guys are supporting even the critics that lie for attention.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Nah, I just call it as I see it.

Much like Halo 2 got rave reviews, but it was weaker than the original, and had graphical glitches galore.

Yeah, I have ADD, but that's not the point. A game is supposed to be immersive, addictive, and overall FUN. You break the immersion if you take the player out of the game and make him watch instead of interact.

Keep in mind I played all the way through MGS2...

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Battling against fanboys never works - they fail to see logic.

I have played MGS before - the first one, i think it was, on the PS1...must have been at least 8 years ago, cause i was still at boarding school. It was okay, but still not my thing.

The story of MGS4 IS mental, the dialogue is pure verbal diarroheah of the worst calibre, seriously, i dont think i've ever been bored trying to comprehend the games plot - i simply didnt CARE about the plot by the time they'd finished babbling on incessantly.

If you want to have that much dialogue spurted out at you, go and watch a movie. I buy a game to PLAY it, to immerse myself in the environments and have FUN.

As for accusing those that dislike MGS4 of having 'ADD' i take it you're also into lenghty JRPGS like FinalFuckingFantasy (which got so old, so very, very fast...)?

Rather than base your opinion of a critic on ONE review, watch some more - then you'll understand *MAYBE* if you're not being so thickskulled, that a critics job is to POINT OUT all the negative aspects of a game, as well as its positive ones - having nothing but positive reviews, is entirely useless.

Yahtzee was entirely correct in that its a game for MGS fans, and outsiders need not bother, otherwise they'll end up wasting money and a substantial portion of their life.

If you want to play a stealth/tactical game on a console - get Splinter Cell.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
Kai;1063282 said:
Battling against fanboys never works - they fail to see logic.

I have played MGS before - the first one, i think it was, on the PS1...must have been at least 8 years ago, cause i was still at boarding school. It was okay, but still not my thing.

The story of MGS4 IS mental, the dialogue is pure verbal diarroheah of the worst calibre, seriously, i dont think i've ever been bored trying to comprehend the games plot - i simply didnt CARE about the plot by the time they'd finished babbling on incessantly.

If you want to have that much dialogue spurted out at you, go and watch a movie. I buy a game to PLAY it, to immerse myself in the environments and have FUN.

As for accusing those that dislike MGS4 of having 'ADD' i take it you're also into lenghty JRPGS like FinalFuckingFantasy (which got so old, so very, very fast...)?

Rather than base your opinion of a critic on ONE review, watch some more - then you'll understand *MAYBE* if you're not being so thickskulled, that a critics job is to POINT OUT all the negative aspects of a game, as well as its positive ones - having nothing but positive reviews, is entirely useless.

Yahtzee was entirely correct in that its a game for MGS fans, and outsiders need not bother, otherwise they'll end up wasting money and a substantial portion of their life.

If you want to play a stealth/tactical game on a console - get Splinter Cell.

First off I love how because I liked a game Im immediately labeled a "fanboy". Give me a break.

Secondly most other reviews gave it glowing scores so I dont know what "other reviews" you would like me to watch.

Finally, its obvious that you simply didnt like/couldnt understand the story and that is why you didnt like the game (all hour of it that you played,which by the way is a GREAT sample size).

Did you think Gears of War was great? Because it has less play time then MGS4.

I have never played any of the final fantasy games so Im sorry I cant be in your little generalization. Maybe you should just stick to games like Pong.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Who said i was specifically speaking about YOU hmm? Or is your ego large enough that you think that every comment is destined for you alone?

Your attitude STINKS and the fact that you feel it necessary to defend MGS4 to the death quite so badly shows that actually, you ARE a fanboy.

MGS4 isnt the first MGS game i've played, so maybe you want to READ AGAIN WHAT I WROTE.

If a game hasn't caught my attention and interested me enough in an hour and a half, i'm sorry but its not a good game. Games are supposed to be ENGAGING. MGS4 was about as entertaining as watching PAINT DRY.

Gears of War, whilst being a console port, provided considerable enjoyment, not least because the storytelling doesnt drone on and on, the characters are developed enough to make them believeable, the gameplay fast paced and adrenaline fuelled....

I've been a gamer far longer than a lot of people here, having worked my way up from the Acorn Electron through Various PC's and even competing professionally in numerous tournaments.

Pong eh? Oh such a witty retort, how many hours did you spend coming up with that?