Metal Head Gasket

Plau000

Feb 11, 2006
Tucson
I'm rebuilding my engine and wanted to know if any1 knows where I could find a metal head gasket for my car or do they even exist for the non-turbos?

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
Plau000 said:
I'm rebuilding my engine and wanted to know if any1 knows where I could find a metal head gasket for my car or do they even exist for the non-turbos?
the headgaskets are universal for the 7m's you can get them at suprasport.com, suprastore.com (i think), 935motorsports...and im sure several of the vendors on here sell them too.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
^^^yup, www.horsepowerfreaks.com carries a few different ones as well. Just make damn sure your head and block are smooth enough to run a MHG.

And since you're asking about HG's, I'll assume you haven't yet read up on the headbolt recommendations. Do not re-use the stock bolts. Go with either new OEM bolts or ARP (I'd recommend either ARP bolts or studs). The factory torque specification is also pretty weak (58ft lbs, IIRC). Whether you go with OEM or ARP most people recommend you torque to 75-80ft lbs.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
There's also Titan Motor Sports.

Spend the monet, vest the time. Don't short cut any thing.
If you do and it breaks...., look there first.

You don't have to run racing shit either.

I want an HKS 1.5 mm stopper gasket for my na.
I'm going to go with arp hardware for sure. I am undecided on bolts or studs.

I will be torquing up to 75 lbs. And I'll be changing the oil and checking retorquing after
the first heat cycles. I am not having the block machined, I'm going to lap it myself.
The head is being reworked by the only machine shop in town.

Anyhow.., that's my game plan.

Last edited:

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
why 1.5mm. when i had my block and head machined the machinist did not have to take much off so i was under the idea i would be fine to run a 1.3mm

saxman47

May 19, 2006
Northern NJ
supraguru05 said:
why 1.5mm. when i had my block and head machined the machinist did not have to take much off so i was under the idea i would be fine to run a 1.3mm

As long as you know how much was taken off the block and head, just pick the hg that will give you as close-to-stock compression as possible. For example, if you took a total of 3mm of material off the block and head, add 3mm to the stock gasket size to get the new gasket thickness.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
saxman47 said:
As long as you know how much was taken off the block and head, just pick the hg that will give you as close-to-stock compression as possible. For example, if you took a total of 3mm of material off the block and head, add 3mm to the stock gasket size to get the new gasket thickness.

How many thousandths are in a millimeter???

ross1

Jul 14, 2005
va
supramacist said:
I will be torquing up to 75 lbs. And I'll be changing the oil and checking retorquing after
the first heat cycles. I am not having the block machined, I'm going to lap it myself.
The head is being reworked by the only machine shop in town.

Anyhow.., that's my game plan.

instead of torquing to what people say why don't you wait and follow ARP's specs? they have two different ones one if you use assembly lube and one if you use motor oil... that would probably be the smart way to do it...

ross