metal head gasket thickness.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Not enough to make a difference Joel!
that's only 0.15mm.

As an example I'll be running a stock deck height block a 5 thou clean up cut on a new head 104 octane LPG and 30 pst boost.

I haven't run the numbers yet but going by past experience I bought a 3mm Cometic as this "should" put me in the high 7's for comp ratio.

When I get my head back I'll CC it then do the calculations properly to double check.

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
i hear 1 or 2 ping sometimes. is this normal under boost? then the ecu should retard the timing back a bit as needed? i only hear it about 14 psi rarely? i dont like it but have been told its normal... sorry im hijacking the thread...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Doh! sorry I misread one of your earlier posts and didn't realise you were running 14 psi.....

Either run some better gas or back the boost down a touch, you're correct the ECU should hear the detonation and back it down but under certain conditions this all may happen to late to save the HG :( (Boosting up a hill on a hot day)(good excuse for a bigger more efficient IC)

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
with this new 3" dp and exh installed, i have backed the boost back to about 12psi, i retarted the timing to 8 deg. this seems to help. i plan on a metal hg when and if this new stock one blows.. start ordeing parts and put em on the shelf. low budget here...

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
yeah, ty, the boost creeps up on me now with this setup. like in my (boost creeping ) post so i have to watch it carefully.. should i go back to the 10 deg timing? my hood sticker is unreadable so i dont know if its 10 deg stock or where i should set the timing at with my mods? again im a hi-jacker...:3d_frown: hehe.. thanks

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
ya im not in any hurry. bhg is not bad as long as stop drop and roll.. dont drive it.. happend 26 miles after i bought it lol..

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
ohh, ya...when mine went, it was like the smoke screen on james bond movie under boost. the car (i had just passed) behind me disapeared instantly... i stopped right there and towed it home.. it never overheated that i know of..

have a good one, gotta go eat turkey....

ronniek

Authorized Vendor
May 2, 2005
auckland
Finally my supra is back on the road with pwr radiator and cylinder head ported and polished.
Only 1 problem left to fix.The temperature gauge does not work.
I did a compression test when I put the engine together and average cylinder pressure was 150 psi.
Ronnie.