Metal Head Gasket leaking Before Engine Start. ??

Northbaysupra

BAY AREA MKIII
Mar 19, 2010
Petaluma
So guys I need some serious help here .THe car ran just fine before all this . No problems. I put a new HkS 2.0 mm head gasket on my non decked brake cleaned block , with arp studs and a good straight head. That was inspected by my machine shop. So the problem is that i put it all together and torqued it to the 85 lb in the sequence of the tsm. Then flipped it to put on my oil pan on . then to flip it back over to find a stain of coolant right by the oil vent / behind the timing belt on the intake side. Please give me some insight. Thanks

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
checked it with a precision straight edge? Mines warped bad enough that a composite wont seal.. looks exceptional to the naked eye though!

Northbaysupra

BAY AREA MKIII
Mar 19, 2010
Petaluma
yes i flip it over after the coolant was drained. to put on the oil pan on . I didn't deck the block b/c the engine ran fine before i took it apart. All tho there where rust holes on the block. Im an idiot !!!! I might take it apart and put on the stock HG. If i have to.

Im going to presser test it asap before i put it together.

Northbaysupra

BAY AREA MKIII
Mar 19, 2010
Petaluma
Yea i read your post . That sucks I know how u feel man.

So im thinking im going to Presser test it with air in the coolant line to see if its going to leak . I do have it on a engine stand currently so its not to late.

Last edited:

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Northbaysupra;1592396 said:
yes i flip it over after the coolant was drained. to put on the oil pan on . I didn't deck the block b/c the engine ran fine before i took it apart. All tho there where rust holes on the block. Im an idiot !!!! I might take it apart and put on the stock HG. If i have to.

Im going to presser test it asap before i put it together.

That's like saying, i didn't machine my flywheel when I changed my clutch because it didn't slip.

This is what happens when you cut corners...i should know, i made this mistake my self once before and learnt the hard way that Metal Head gaskets have VERY little tolerance to imperfect surfaces. Hopefully you can still save your gasket.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
^^^ Im assuming that the timing cover is stock, because he left the block un-machined.

If you want to go MLS HG you NEED to MACHINE YOUR BLOCK.
If you're just going to "clean it up" it has to be a composite HG.

Sam