MegaSquirt II Successfully Running on 7M-GTE!!! (Lots of pics and walkthrough)

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
This sounds really good. I had been thinking about running Megasquirt or AEM but wasn't sure there was enough support for Megasquirt. Which is definately the way i'll be going now. I like to build as much as i can for my car to keep costs down, lol. I know, i'm a cheapass

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
RacerXJ220 said:
Same place I bought my MSII board, 12' harness, and simulator board from. Takes the work out for you. All you have to do is wire it up, and get it tuned.

Too bad I'm in Iraq, and can't finish my MKII project. Oh well. Maybe next year.

you bought it fully assembled? all you had to do was make the harness and tune it? i thought you had to build the board to what you were using it for?

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
nosechunks said:
you bought it fully assembled? all you had to do was make the harness and tune it? i thought you had to build the board to what you were using it for?

Apparantly you can buy it partially assembled or you can get it completely unassembled form from Megasquirt. Does the partial assembly cost more than the entire DIY version since part of its already done for you?

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Grimsta said:
Apparantly you can buy it partially assembled or you can get it completely unassembled form from Megasquirt. Does the partial assembly cost more than the entire DIY version since part of its already done for you?

Tell them what you want, they make it to your specs.

Then take the box, and the supplied wiring harness and wire it up.

I'm going to use a 36-1 Fluidyne JZ dampener adapter. It's hot.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
btw, if anyone needs one of the 36-1 crank trigger wheels i did the group by for i have a couple left. $75 shipped including the bolts to mount it

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
yes the cps is usuable. anyone else used the dis 6? im going to put my ms2 on v3 board on my 7mgte and need to know what exactly had to be done inside and what ms code to load on it etc.. thanks.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
got my ms2 installed and the engine running yesterday. once i figure out why it isnt reading the wideband ill begine the tuning process. idles silky smooth though, just pig rich. lol

MK-111

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2007
Wigan
there are 2 menu items for the lambda sensor, one to use narrowband, wideband or none.
and the other where you select which wideband you are using.
make sure single wideband is selected, and the correct one is selected, save the setting and you should be good to go.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
i chose the aem widband in the system ini when i first set it up. and also in eugo settings it is set to single wideband. i checked all that stuff yesterday.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
its fixed. 2 issues. first i didnt have the air temp and coolant temp sensors calibrated right. recalibrated them both as i didnt remember hwat i had put in before then the afr's started bouncing around like crazy. then i went to tools and calibrate afr and selected the linear aem widband and let it go through. turned it off and back on and now it reads the afr's. about 11.5ish at idle. too low. and when the throttle is blipped it jumps crazy lean for a second even though my fuel map should be pretty damn rich.guess i need to wait till i got cash for gas and just hit start on the datalogging and take a cruise. lol. thanks for all the help guys. didnt know there were 2 spots to select the wideband type at.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
yup. too bad im broke and near e. ill wait till i get paid friday and fill it up with 93 octane and turn on megatune and drie around to let it set the ve tables better. then i can work on the accell enrichment etc...

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
loveofcars;1250877 said:
can someone tell me why mega squirts are so darn cheap. i mean i know there old but i seen one going for 250 with everything

simple

because that is how much the electronics probably cost!

Add the software and there you go!

Remember

The AEM, FAST, BigEFI etc. Support is not really free ;) It is priced into the unit. Add to that the R&D which has to be priced also into the unit. Of course that is not the "retail" price. That is the price for the manufactures to sell to the resellers/tuners.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
yup, megasquirt was devloped by hobbiests, not a corporation, the software and open source code are all FREE! and the support on the forum is FREE! and its also cheap because you just buy the electronics needed and build it yourself to YOUR specs. it isnt for noobs or the faint of heart but if you got some electrical knowledge and the will and desire you can do it. i have an as in electronics so that helps. my friends saw the spagetti of wires when i was half done and told me i was crazy as shit. then flipped when it started the first try. the fuse box i built i didnt draw anything up on paper. did all the diagrams in my head and still remembered them when i installed it this past weekend even though i built the fuse box months ago. i feel thats what made it so simple and clean to install, the fuse box had all the circuits needed and then some in it. even houses the relays and fuses for my electric fans etc...

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
well i bit the bullet and i purchased my kit, cost me about 750 but i purchased a daughter card that was allready included, a couple thing's i orderd double like boost control mod kit and vtec controller (they say you can use it to control a relay, so i was thinkin of like a main relay or second fan for a/c.)

i've wired up my board to run msii V3.0 extra 2.0.1 code, and have 6 db373's (newer coil drivers replacing the discontinued vp293's) driving 6 1jz coils, stock cps, q45 tps. im not sure on which idle valve i should go with but wired it up to use both, or should i say i have down the flyback circuits for the pwm set up, but left the idle circuit half finished. so i still have my choice.

i have built my coil harness and still need to build my engine harness, but my plan is to attempt to make a fields style harness to connect the msii to the stock 89+ harness, i have found parts supplies for all the connectors, but the ecu connectors are on back order for another 7 weeks atleast.

still looking for earily modle ecu plugs. but if needed i could find the stuff in junk yards and make pre89 harness for people interested.
please note, that using your stock harness may also including any electrical problems you have.

so far form all the reading i have done, the stock cps should work, but people are having "noise" issues, or crosstalk from G1 and G2 causing count re-set.