Megasquirt 3 standalone

ca91mkIII

May 23, 2012
Franklin
Let me start by saying I know I do not have this in the right section as there is a section dedicated to standalone setups, but I am not getting any responses with my thread posted in that area. Anyways... on to my questions. I am looking at the Megasquirt 3 standalone computer as well as the plug n' play AEM V2 standalone sold on Driftmotion's website. Does anyone have experience with either of these and what are some of the pros and cons of each? I am not looking for facts that I can get off of the website of each standalone, but individuals reactions to the computers. I am wondering ease of install, tuning, odds and ends needed, so on and so forth. I did do some searching on here and noticed to run MS2 you have to do some modifications to the ignition setup. Does AEM's V2 or MS3 require these same type of modifications?

Andre-2

Apr 24, 2007
St-Roch-de-l'Achigan
You don't say what engine you're going to use. I personaly have a 7MGTE and I first went with AEM first generation plug and play. But I kept having issues like misfire around 3k RPM and tuning would change when I hit a bump. It would randomly throw fuel like crazy then come back to normal.And when I would start the engine after it was already warm, idle would keep going up and down for a couple of minutes. Then, a few monhts ago, a friend
offered me to build a plug and play MS3. So far I am very pleased with the MS3. Cold start and warm start are great and there is no hesitation whatsoever anywhere fron idle to 5k RPM. Plus you can do datalogging on a SD card with the MS and do distant tuning. The only thing I liked better with the AEM is that it would sit at the same place as the OEM ECU while the MS,with the plug and play wire connectors take almost all the glove compartment.Other than that , I am happy with the switch. Of course, I am referring to the first gen AEM. I don't have any experience with the V2.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
the problems with the AEM V1 are usually because of the CPS and the multiplex ignition. Fix those, and it's fine (I have one on my car). The V2 adds a bunch of great features. imho, if you want an off the shelf ECU, go with the V2.

ca91mkIII

May 23, 2012
Franklin
Enraged;1893097 said:
the problems with the AEM V1 are usually because of the CPS and the multiplex ignition. Fix those, and it's fine (I have one on my car). The V2 adds a bunch of great features. imho, if you want an off the shelf ECU, go with the V2.

Do you know much about Megasquirt 3 by chance? How hard is it to tune the AEM standalone?

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
The local tuner prefers tuning the V2, and as such, that's the route I'm going. They can usually tune whatever, but lots of my friends have AEM EMS' in their cars that he has tuned. As somewhat of a side note, you should really talk to whoever will be tuning your car to see if they have preferences and such.

ca91mkIII

May 23, 2012
Franklin
I have done some further research and talked to Matt at DIYAutotune.com and I have learned that MS3X is compatible with the igntion system in a 89 & up MK3 Supra. All I need is the wiring harness that plugs directly into the MS3X computer. After what I have learned I am thinking I will be going the Megasquirt route and on top of everything else, saving $700 over AEM is a nice side effect. Thank you to everyone that responded.