MDC motorsports

Status
Not open for further replies.

glntom

Apr 13, 2005
Glenwood, AR
BlackMKIII said:
I've dealt with a few malignant customers myself. I put a rebuilt 22R-E engine in some guy's truck over 2 1/2 years ago, and he drove it maybe 2000 miles during that time. He fires it up last week and the engine has a rodknock. Is it MY fault the dummy didn't change the oil for the last two years? No. Does he call me and threaten to sue me 5 times a day? YES!

Not only that, Jon said that if the turbo was as messed up as peachtits said it was, it wouldn't have spun at all. EVER. The other turbo shop probably told him that to try and earn his business, as Justin727 said.

And on one final note, do you honestly think that that guy kept the shaft lubricated while he was waiting for the engine? I doubt it. Was it properly primed and checked like Shytheed mentioned that Jon did? Wouldn't bet on it. He KNOWS he screwed it up and now he's trying to get free stuff from Jon. AND he's posting up all this crap trying to earn OUR sympathy.

I back Jon 100% on his decision to publicly say no to this guy.

Ditto. We don't know how the turbo was stored, maybe it was on the floor, or on a shelf or getting kicked around the shop.We don't know how it was lubed. We don't know "Tony's" qualifications. From posts on this forum it appears Peachtits motor was down since this time last year, lot of time for stuff to go bad...
Bottom line is a stated 3 month, 10,000 mile warranty. It was out. End of story. To me it sounds like someone ranting trying to get something for nothing. JMHO

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
Ckanderson said:
All you guys who are climbing on the 3 month warrenty bandwagon, did you read the problems with his turbo?

1. the front housing was bored off center

2. the turbine wheel was hand clipped and was done wrong

These are things that dont fail with time, or from being "kicked around"

These are obviously errors on MDC's part. Im very dissapointed in the way Jon has decided to handle the problem, and would never give him any business.

exactly. these are problems that are verifiable.

it dosnt matter what kind of warranty MDC says the turbo has, if the work was done incorrectly the buyer is entitled to a full cash refund. not credit, not another turbo, a FULL REFUND.

and just to reiterate what i said earlier in the other thread, because of the way jon has handled this problem, i too will never give MDC any of my business.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle

understood, but the offtopic thread was closed and i personally think this is something that should be out in the open. the buyer may not realize he has some avenues of recourse here and i think it is very important that hes made aware of what options he has.

furthermore, this is yet another chance for MDC to take another look at the situation and (although probably unlikely) maybe Jon will reconsider his judgments in this particular situation.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
How about you post some pics of said turbo? I'd honeslty like to see how it was bored off center and the blades being clipped. Do you think that we are just suppose to take your word without proof? Post the pics then we can all discuss.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
thank you IJ.

everyone, lets keep this respectable and hopefully the problem can be resolved! an important part of supramania is the ability to do this. as long as the discussion does not turn into a flamewar i am sure this will help the buyer and seller fix their problem, even if it means the buyer takes MDC to court, at least some type of discussion was able to take place in order to find another solution.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
OneJoeZee said:
It is hard to imagine any company giving anyone a refund on a turbo 1 year later no matter what happened.

But,

I do not think MDC needed to respond in such a condescending tone. It is one thing for normal members to flame each other and be condescending but completely different for a forum sponsor/vendor/moderator.

You guys know I am not one to sugar coat my posts but I cannot remember the last time I said something that harsh. MDC's reply even made me say "...Whoa..."
+1

I still think mdc should offer to inspect the turbo and see if there was manufactured defects then maybe offer a 1/2 off or something, just cause it took the buyer so long. I'm sure he doesn't have deep pockets like some of these other companys do to please their customers with.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Ckanderson said:
1/2 off? you cant be serious.

if what the OP is true, why should MDC offer half off a new one?

He should give him a new turbo. MDC ruined his turbo to the point he will never be able to use it again.
I agree with you there, but its past the 3 months.. nothing NEEDs to be done, its out of warranty. But imo he should good will the warranty and fix his turbo. at least 1/2 would be something rather then nothing..

Suprawannabe

meh... im lazy
Oct 27, 2005
Denver, CO
I'm curious what peachtits has to say about how the turbo blew. If he noticed anything odd while priming it.

I bought a rebuilt turbo from MDC over a year ago that only got about 10 miles on it without getting into boost. What I noticed when priming it was that the turbine fins would touch the housing very slightly ( I was told that was normal because of the tight clearances) and scratches are visible on the turbine from the ten miles it was driven. The turbo is just sitting at my parents house awaiting someone but now I fell hesitant to give it to him.

BTW I didn't directly buy this from MDC, so im not looking for a refund. I just dont want to look like a jackass.

edit: Compressor fins not turbine.

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
MDC has rebuilt many of the turbos on this forum, and has a good track record.

The main issue I see in someone else taking it apart and inspecting it is that:
- who knows if they did it correctly
- who knows if it's REALLY the same turbo

Plain and simple, the warranty is up and you didn't go to him when there was issues. It's the same reason I have zero recourse for the shit job that was done on my clutch that lasted less than 5K miles.

And I will also say again, we do NOT know the entire story, so pointing fingers and laying blame is pointless as only the two parties know WTF is really going on...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
you actually have to put oil in the turbo, and spin it while off the car, than crank to get oil pressure...

not following the directions means and INSTANT dead turbo!
TC_004.gif

Suprawannabe

meh... im lazy
Oct 27, 2005
Denver, CO
disconnect cps, crank with oil feed line off till oil came out into the cup underneath, connect the line and crank 10 times (stop for a sec so I dont fry my starter) 10 more stop 10 more. Then I started it.

Suprawannabe

meh... im lazy
Oct 27, 2005
Denver, CO
Yeah I put oil in it and spun it, thats when I was noticing the slight touching of the compressor to the housing.

I edited my first post to say compressor fins, not the turbine. Wasn't thinking right.

Suprawannabe

meh... im lazy
Oct 27, 2005
Denver, CO
Oh yeah, I'll point out that there was no smoke coming out of my tail pipe, turbo death whine or any sign of a blown turbo. I'm just curious what happened with peachtits since I know the turbine shouldn't scrape even though it is VERY SLIGHTLY, I mean barley nicking the housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.