Malfunction while checking codes

DigityD'87

Feb 27, 2008
Portsmouth, NH
Today I was out joy rideing and noticed my check engine light was on...big surprise. So I decided it would be a good idea to check my error codes. Never done it before but i am familiar with the process (at least i thought). I connected the te1 to e1 terminals and started my car and noticed that the engine light was on but no blink then after about 10seconds after my car started sputtering badly. I dont know whats going on, if someone could shine some light on this for me I would greatly appreciate it. Sorry if this has been covered.

DigityD'87

Feb 27, 2008
Portsmouth, NH
str8_6;1231755 said:
you're not suppose to start your car. just switch to ignition

Now im confused. Why does the link that shaeff gave say "After you do this start your car". I've followed that web-site forever and never had problems with it, infact shaeff gave me the link over a year or so ago at i-supra.

Now that i know your not supposed to start it...anyone have an idea about what went wrong?

thanks

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
To clarify: The CEL stays on (no blink) both when the ignition key is on and with the engine running, with the TE1/E1 terminals jumped?

Are you absolutely positive you jumped the correct diagnostic terminals?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Just to clear something up it makes no difference whether the engine is running or not when checking codes. The book says not to start it simply because there's no need. You could also drive the car all day long with the diag jumper in and the only thing effected would be idle...

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
jetjock;1232094 said:
Just to clear something up it makes no difference whether the engine is running or not when checking codes. The book says not to start it simply because there's no need. You could also drive the car all day long with the diag jumper in and the only thing effected would be idle...

oh really? i never knew that. thanks.

and it def. should at least blink non stop if there is no codes.

DigityD'87

Feb 27, 2008
Portsmouth, NH
jdub;1231824 said:
To clarify: The CEL stays on (no blink) both when the ignition key is on and with the engine running, with the TE1/E1 terminals jumped?

Are you absolutely positive you jumped the correct diagnostic terminals?

Im only pretty sure i jumped the right ones because on my car were the te1 terminal is supposed to be it only say "T". I assumed that was the one. Did I make a mistake?

DigityD'87

Feb 27, 2008
Portsmouth, NH
jetjock;1232094 said:

Well my idle is def. effected but its strange. For example, when its started it runs perfect but as soon as its revved at all then its starts sputtering at about 3/4 rpm but does not die (sure sounds like it wants to though).

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
DigityD'87;1232176 said:
Im only pretty sure i jumped the right ones because on my car were the te1 terminal is supposed to be it only say "T". I assumed that was the one. Did I make a mistake?

Go by relative position on the terminal block per this pic:

diag_block.gif

Make sure theres a good connection between the terminals...paperclip wire should work.

DigityD'87

Feb 27, 2008
Portsmouth, NH
Ok, I started it again today and its still sputtering and the exhaust smells like unused fuel. I decided to try the diagnostic again and it worked (must not have had a good connection with the terminals). It gave me code 31. This has something to do with the AFM correct? I have an extra if replaceing it will work. What should i do?

-edit- Nevermind.... I went ahead and used this fine sites search feature and got the info i needed. Replaceing the AFM did the trick and im convinced considering it runs better than ever and even sounds better while accelerating.

Last edited: