Making SS oil lines and such

Untouchable7mgte

back in the game!
Apr 1, 2005
Wilkes-Barre,PA
hey guys i was putting togather my oil lines for my turbo today and holy balls it was alot harder than i thought. I cut the no problem but after putting the red sleeve on and trying to push on and screw down the other put. wow. It took me about hour or two just to do 2 -4an ends on my line. geeze. I used lots of oil and followed direction that came with it. is there tricks of the trade i dont know about or maybe i tool i can get to make this easier Because sooner or later all my lines will be stainless. sorry about the rant in the begining. Anyone that can help i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks A lot,
Tom Z.

Untouchable7mgte

back in the game!
Apr 1, 2005
Wilkes-Barre,PA
ohh yea i found those aeroquip makes them. I think thewy would be a little better then vise grips cover in duct tape. HA! seems like that the only tool ive seen out there. Other then the wrenchs but i see no real use for those i have my own. I wonder how duane does all of his lines????

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
i like to wrap the line tightley in many many layers of electrical tape. then i cut it as straight as possible with a hacksaw. you want to do it in one cutting session, dont keep stopping and starting over again. the idea is to have NO frayed edges and a straight cut.

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
:rofl: I thought it was pretty easy, I didn't even read "tutorials." Just keep trying till you get it :dunno:

**Edit**

And I used a metal cut-off wheel like Adam said.... mainly because it goes through SS and rubber like butter.

Didn't use any oil my first time... but used a shot of WD40 the second time.

Last edited:

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
i didnt use any oil on my 6an fuel line. but didnt tap it either. it frayed just a lil. trick is use a small strong screw driver to push the ss mesh down and work around as it goes further in. took me maybe 10-15min to do both ends on the line including cuting it. gonna ge lots of practice once i have all the lines and fitings to hook up the oil cooler and oil thermostat to my oil filter relocation kit. thats 10 hose ends that need done right there, then the hose ends for the 2nd fuel line from the tank to the front for the 2nd walbro pump ,and will have fitiers on both lines. then when the th400 goes in im using 6an for the external filter and trans filter on that as well. not necc but will hold up longer and look much much nicer.

Untouchable7mgte

back in the game!
Apr 1, 2005
Wilkes-Barre,PA
oh shut up brent. lol. mister friggin perfect. hehe but will i like the idea of the screwdriver ill have to try that with my next line. Im deff getting that aeroquip vise grip insert from them.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
that is the problem elxtrical tape,

you need MASKING tape as it don't stretch ;) I was having too many issue when using electrical tape. Used masking ape and it worked fine :)

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
figgie said:

you need MASKING tape as it don't stretch ;) I was having too many issue when using electrical tape. Used masking ape and it worked fine :)

Ditto, the shop I buy my lines from uses masking tape as well.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
figgie said:

cool. will try that next time.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
you can also try strapping tape it seems to work best.its the plastic tape with the strains in it.i use a big pair of cable cutters.some braided hose just sucks.if the outside layer is a cover and not actually bonded to the hose good it will fray easy.i just got some aeromotive stuff like this.it was a double braid with only the inside braid bonded to the hose.PITA

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
tsuper92 said:
you can also try strapping tape it seems to work best.its the plastic tape with the strains in it.i use a big pair of cable cutters.some braided hose just sucks.if the outside layer is a cover and not actually bonded to the hose good it will fray easy.i just got some aeromotive stuff like this.it was a double braid with only the inside braid bonded to the hose.PITA

who makes SS braid hose like that? all the aeromotive AND summit SS braided lines ive used dont have the SS braid bonded to the hose.