Making car parts (w/Jay Leno)

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
My company has used that technology for "rapid development prototypes" for years. I've watched it in operation, and then HANDLED the plastic prototype of an infinite range recliner mechanism, internal gears and all, fully functional... and generated in a matter of hours from an existing part as Jay shows, or in THIS case, from 3D data that was fed to the "JETSON'S" machine (microwave-lookin' thing...) and when it went "DING!"... a functional device came out of the chamber. Neat stuff.

-crisp

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
honestabe;1266939 said:
God that's a cool tool. I want one so bad. And just think, these are getting cheaper and cheaper.

I believe they said "quarter million" on the small microwave sized one they had at my place... but the "solution" that they used, like a "GEL" in the form was UBER expensive... and it would "laser" (or something) cure it and leave the excess to "wipe" away. The solid (even functional mechanical) object would then remain, and simply require "rinsed off".

Back then, I think they said $3000 per shot, but still less than prototyping a complex device in soft tooling.

-crisp

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
jmanbball;1267155 said:
One of those dimension printers start a 14,900.

I'm pretty sure that's a "bargain" from what they started out at. Amazing technology!

-crisp