Making a New Dipstick

Blackmk3

Apr 10, 2006
New Zealand
So ive just made a new exhaust manifold setup, and now the dipstick wont fit
Tried to give it the bend but cant bend it into a suitable place

So the next step is to make a new one, What have you guys done and how have you gone about it?

Nick

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Lokar makes a nice flexible dipstick that some people use, or you could save a hundred, and search the junkyard for a toyota stick with the right shape. I would bend a section of wire or coat hanger to the shape you need, then go salvage yard shopping.
Most toyota's will have the same mounting diameter.

Blackmk3

Apr 10, 2006
New Zealand
Thats a good idea, Thanks, But a junkyards are a few and far between where i live, might make it abit harder

Ive seen the lokka ones, but yeah trying to avoid as with currency exchange and sending to new zealand it becomes a rather expensive dipstick!

Any other ways people have made/modified theres?

Blackmk3

Apr 10, 2006
New Zealand
Just wondering if anyone has one of these dipstick tubes kicking around on a parts motor?

If i could grab the measurement of how much "dipstick" sticks out from below the bottom of the tube

And with pushing a wire or string up inside the measurement length of the stock tube?

Thanks!

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
wouldn't you be able to use the same stock dipstick and just make a new tube as long as its the same height i would be fine wouldn't it?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I silver brazed a male -6 fitting onto a cut down stock tube then used a scrap of braided line with -6 female ends another -6 male that threaded into a bracket for the top and a flexible dipstick from another engine, just made the outer the right length so the scale was in the right place.

Blackmk3

Apr 10, 2006
New Zealand
I plan on making a new one out of some bundy tube, or good tip with the fittings IJ, might get some -6, but ive messed around with my stock one to much now and i didn't measure it before i started :icon_mad:
So now im kinda stuck where i don't have a accurate dipstick to get the correct level then make one to fit around the new turbo setup and read the correct level

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
I had lokar dipstick and it melted since the braid plastic/nylon tubeing

i just took a stock dip stick and used a tube bender