Major frustration adjusting TPS...Help?

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
So trying to adjust my tps so that my car will idle correctly has been nothing short of a nail through the foot. For whatever reason I just cannot get the second reading per TSRM (the reading you take at .9mm) to hit infinity, it always returns a value close to what the .5mm reading is. I've even messed with the stop screw location. Any ideas of how to get the stop screw in the correct location so that I can correctly adjust the TPS(measurements possibly). Both fully opened throttle reading are good but I know these don't really matter unless the IDL-E2 readings are in spec. My IDL-E2 reading for .5mm is around .02KOHms which I have been told says the TPS is healthy.

Thanks for your time.
Ryan m.

super7mgtepower

Apr 2, 2008
Lawton, OK
How did it come out of adjustment? Or is it just acting up, I had to pull my intake manifold off mine and after i put it all together my motor would surge under throttle turns out tps plug clip broke not keeping it on thight.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
its easy to adjust, dont even need a meter. loosen the screws and while its running rotate it till you here the idle switch cause of the internal idle siwtch in the tps then tighten the screws.

however sounds like you got a bad tps. ive pulled a few apart that were acting goofy and always saw a bad trace inside.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
williamb82;985219 said:
its easy to adjust, dont even need a meter. loosen the screws and while its running rotate it till you here the idle switch cause of the internal idle siwtch in the tps then tighten the screws.

however sounds like you got a bad tps. ive pulled a few apart that were acting goofy and always saw a bad trace inside.

That's assuming you're doing it on the car, which is a royal PITA and not worth it IMHO...

Easier on a bench.

FYI, do NOT use a digital multimeter to do it, as it doesn't react fast enough compared to an old dial style. I was having fits trying to get it right until I broke out my dad's old dial multimeter.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Couple of comments:

1) It doesn't matter what kind of meter is used. A DMM will work just fine. You don't even need a meter to set it. A test light would do. So will the car's MIL.

2) Although it needs to be fixed for other reasons (and it does sound like the TPS is bad) it should be obvious from the original post this has nothing to do with how his car idles. In that sense he's barking up the wrong tree.