maine and rod bearings

maitai69691

Jul 24, 2005
hilo hawaii
im about to put my ENG back to gether and im replacing the bearings with stocks all i did was had the crank polished. Do i need to make sure i measure the clearnces or could i just order standerd bearings.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You would need to check clearances unless you want to say f it and possibly end up with rod knock on start up.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
As mentioned, for oem bearings, you need to check the oil clearance for each rod and main journal and order the correct oem bearing for each one.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Can you not purchase standard aftermarket bearings if the crank is polished to OEM standard specs?

I used a std set of bearings on two rebuilds and all clearances were within spec. I'm sure I could have gotten them all slightly closer to the tight end of the standard spec if I used Toyota select fit bearings, but they were all within spec on two motors. Mains and rod bearings.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
suprarx7nut;1627033 said:
Can you not purchase standard aftermarket bearings if the crank is polished to OEM standard specs?

I used a std set of bearings on two rebuilds and all clearances were within spec. I'm sure I could have gotten them all slightly closer to the tight end of the standard spec if I used Toyota select fit bearings, but they were all within spec on two motors. Mains and rod bearings.

There is no OEM std spec. The OEM spec falls withing a wide range numbers not only for the crank journals, but for the rod big end and main housing bore also. So for all these combinations of sizes is why the select a size bearings are used from Toyota. This being said, the aftermarket bearings are all the same size and thickness. So in some cases it is possible to buy a set of aftermarket bearings in std size and they will fall right into all the locations they belong with "ok" oil clearance specs. But just as good a chance of the clearance not working out very well exist also. Many cases it is not the crank that is the problem, it is the rod big end or main bearing housing hole that can be too small for the aftermarket bearing to fit properly. Forcing the bearing into the too small of housing hole will cause it to deflect out of round and end with a knock. If you check, check and check your numbers again, then yes aftermarket bearing can just fall in sometimes.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I see. That makes sense. Guess I just got lucky with both mine then. :dunno:

Had I done my rebuild after getting my current job I would have opted to take more time and money to go the select fit route, but I just needed them up and running reliably.

Good to know though.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk