MAFT pro Vs. SAFCII

MA70Snowman

Oct 17, 2006
San Diego
now i don't know if this is comparing apples and oranges. but I recently bought a SAFCII and its defective (i guess.. all i know is that the VFD displays either horizontal, diagonal, checkerd lines when you spin the dial and when you push the button in you can get a display that shows Version and all the input signals but all them read NG... and thats it.) so i'm going to be sending it back.. well i've been reading up on the MAFT pro just a little bit and from the sounds of it, it has all the capabilities of the SAFC II and then some. can someone clarify a comparision between them and what all the MAFT pro is, and can do for you. also where do you guys recomend picking one up. i'd love to support our community so if there's someone here. I have a LC-1 wideband is that compatible w/ the maftpro. just got a lot of questions on these units lol thanks for all the insight.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Dr Jonez carries them, great place to buy.

MAFT Pro is essentially the same as a SAFC, plus it has the ability to support other air measuring devices (Like MAP), spark control, boost control, and WOT autotuning via wideband.

Spiv

hooligan
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando, Fl
I have an SAFCII right now, and am in the process of switching to the maft genII (similar to the pro)

what the SAFCII does well:
basic fuel adjustment across a good range of rpm points, with a high/low throttle position based changeover (with interpolation in between). It works pretty well, and will wake up a ton of horsepower in your car that you're missing out on because of bad tuning.

what the pro does that the safcII doesn't do:
adjusts fuel in 0.5% increments instead of 1%
allows you to use a MAP sensor instead of a AFM sensor (AFM is a restriction, and MAP allows you to vent your BOV to the atmosphere with no ill effects. Plus the car will most likely drive home without a hitch if you pop a boost coupler.)
timing control
can act as a boost controller with the add on
automatic adjustment to the fuel if you connect your LC1 to it
fuel adjustment at 3 levels, which can be based on actual load level instead of just throttle position

Is it worth the extra cost? Well, maybe. It's a cool gadget, and will net you more power, and will make some other things a little easier to do. However, it is terribly expensive. It's also much more complicated to work with. The SAFCII is really pretty easy to mess with, and does a pretty good job with the stock system. The pro also has a pretty dated interface, which is why my SAFCII was build into the center console, and the genII is going in the glove compartment.

MA70Snowman

Oct 17, 2006
San Diego
Hey spiv awsome write up thankyou very much clarified things a little better. I knew of all the SAFCII could do but didn't know how the maftp compared to it. Looks like for now i'll be going w/ the safcII Until the engine rebuild in about 2 years (hopefully they'll be cheaper by then)