maft-pro Tap vs. Splice

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
(EDIT: new wiring diagram showing exactly what to do is posted on post #9)

Before I start off, I have searched and read through all the maft-pro archived threads that I can (a lot of the thread link listings are dead and don't work) and I am still seeing conflicts in wiring diagrams/instructions.

I am looking at the "Quick Setup for Supra MK-III" in the physical instructions that came with the maft-pro. It tells you to "Tap" (meaning to connect, but keep the stock path - "T" in) all of the wires that you connect except the AirTemp output (brown) and the wideband input/ground. So based on this, how does the maft-pro control anything at all? Is the maft-pro quick setup wrong, or does the maft-pro control things by boosting the signal instead of intercepting and translating?

Also in the "Translator Pro User Manual" it tells you that to splice the MAF signal, yet tells you to tap it in the quick setup.

Then I was reading about the member made wiring diagram and install:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11783&highlight=maft

My interpretation of that is that it is just to show you where to install the wires, but not how (as in tap vs. splice). One might guess that you connect it just like that diagram shows, but obviously you don't since that would mean splicing the ECU power and ground.

I have an 89+ turbo that I have spent a ton of time and money on and I don't want to hastily connect the wiring the wrong way and potentially screw something up.

Pertinent setup info:
89+ turbo, manual
maft-pro with all options, including LC-1 wideband

There must be something simple that I am missing somewhere since a lot of people have this installed now.

Any sort of clarification would help out a ton; thank you!!

Last edited:

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
no wires need to be cut if i remeber correctly, unless your doing the timming monitor or timing control. idk if i remeber how to do those though.

the maft pro is reading most of the signal's you have tapped. although it' is translating the map signal to the karmen vortex signal.

make sure you solder all of your wire's connected to your ecu/engine harness

the plastic tap's are junk after you move your stuff around enough.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
"You must CUT the KS wire on the engine wiring harness, and the connect the GREEN wire from the Maftpro to the ECU SIDE of the wire. You can leave the other side of the KS wire unattached or you can connect it to the YELLOW wire on the maftpro harness"

The link you posted has the answer to your question...

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
Yes, but what I was asking about was the discontinuity of each of the install instructions. The manual provided with the maft-pro says to tap that wire, not splice it. The thread actually refers to the contradicting instructions right under it. I just didn't want to go head first into something that can potentially put me back to square one.

My next question is that since I should use the instructions for install from that thread, then are there any other wires that I need to splice? Am I to assume that the default of the wiring should be to tap now?

I'm just trying to make a little sense of this before I learn the hard way.

Thanks for the replies!

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
no need to cut the ks wire, "karmen signal" if the afm is unpluged there is no other signal going to the ecu other then that from the maft pro

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
pimptrizkit;917268 said:
no need to cut the ks wire, "karmen signal" if the afm is unpluged there is no other signal going to the ecu other then that from the maft pro

yup. no need to CUT the KS wire if the AFM is NOT connected.

though i always find it to be better to cut it....no telling what can happen w/a big piece of wire wagging around....

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
drjonez;917358 said:
yup. no need to CUT the KS wire if the AFM is NOT connected.

though i always find it to be better to cut it....no telling what can happen w/a big piece of wire wagging around....

true , i would also recomend zip tieing the afm plug to some thing on the motor, mine sucked up when i was on the dyno w/ my filter off. (yes lesson learned LOL)

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
Ok, I installed the MAFT-Pro and it is running! Before I wired it in, I made myself a wiring diagram from the collective knowledge of this and the other thread. It is a little rough because I drew it by hand and then took a picture of it (no scanner). I edited in the MAFT-pro colors and the reference plug shapes (from the TSRM).

*Disclaimer: verify your own wiring; wire at your own risk.
(my ECU wire colors varied slightly - i.e. my power wire was black/red, not brown/red - so I would reference the locations instead)

X's are where cuts have been made in order to splice and black dots are connection points on the wires. A line with just a dot "T'ed" into it is a tap. Also, the dotted colored lines are to distinguish a line just passing under another line (not connected).

89+, 7M-GTE, MAFT-Pro, Speed Density Wiring:

vbpgimage.php

Keep in mind that the ECU, and thus the plugs, is bolted into the car upside down from the orientation above.

(sorry if my hand writing is bad :p )

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Nice diagram, thanks for posting that :)

You have pretty good hand writing, it's not bad at all! Very readable!

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
Oh wow... I love the maft-pro. No more boost cut at 10 psi at 5000rpm! It's tempting to log every single time I drive :p. I can't wait to start adjusting little by little.

/excited posting