maft pro observations

djordan97

Apr 14, 2006
Kennewick WA
well I FINALLY got my car up and running. me thinking I'd be smart and run it stock to make sure that it was running all good and proper unpluged the maft pro and hooked my afm back up. Wow was I in for a suprise. my car ran like crude. chugging and lugging. AFs all over the place and never where it's supposed to be. well me I figured I got an air leak and I go through and figure out that I do have an air leak. so I go through all the trouble to replace all my intake gaskets again and then bam get the car all put back together and damn it still runs like shit. so I get frustrated and fed up and put my car back in the garage. besides it's almost time to head to work. but I get a wild hair up my but and I hook the maft pro just outa curiosity and WHAM car runs like a champ. idles perfect runs perfect revs perfect unfortunately for me it's time to head to work. will play with it more tonight. anyways moral of the story is. If you hook up the maft pro in your car you can't unplug it and expect your car to run acceptable.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
did you hook the afm back up?

did you cut any wires in the maftpro installtion?.

i dont have a afm, never did, went ge-gte+maft pro, so when i unplug it , it idles but wont do much else..

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
djordan97 said:
...anyways moral of the story is. If you hook up the maft pro in your car you can't unplug it and expect your car to run acceptable.

i disagree.

this is a fine case of how speed/density can be a hindrance by hiding vac leaks. it can also be a good thing in that you can get home if you blow off an IC pipe.

if your car is in good running order, there should be little difference between speed/density and AFM (tuning aside).

djordan97

Apr 14, 2006
Kennewick WA
did hook back up the afm and I also went through all my vac line to check for vac leaks and nope not finding any vac leaks. my boost gage is saying I'm pulling just shy of 20 vac. just like it did before I had the maft pro. there is like 2 wires iirc that you have to cut to install the maft pro I DID NOT repeat DID NOT pull the wiring for the maft pro out of the car and reconect those couple of wires back to the stock wiring harness. that might have been the cause of why it didn't work quite right. don't matter car is up and running perfect with almost no tuning. not having the throttle problem that most people seem to have with the maft pro at this point and it's running just like stock with more power and better throttle response actually. very nice.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
djordan97 said:
I DID NOT repeat DID NOT pull the wiring for the maft pro out of the car and reconect those couple of wires back to the stock wiring harness...

heh. yes. that is the problem.....because you CUT the wire from the AFM to the ECU! :aigo:

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
simpsons7s said:
You should have about -10 vac at idle. not -20, thats too much i think.

If you're only pulling -10 at idle, something is wrong with your engine.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
simpsons7s said:
You should have about -10 vac at idle. not -20, thats too much i think.

sadly he's correct. -10 vac is an incorrect measurement though, -10psi would be the correct way to say that, which is about 18/19inmhg

the only reason i know this is cause when my vac gauge is pullin 20inches of vacume, my bp display on the pro is reading around -10 .

djordan97

Apr 14, 2006
Kennewick WA
oopse didn't mean to start an argument. but yes according to my gague it's about 20 inmhg was orriginally and auto that I swapped to a manual. bout the only thing orriginal in my engine compartent is the stuff hooked to the firewall and wheel wells. drove the car a bunch again today and still seems to be running well.