maft genII problems

Spiv

hooligan
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando, Fl
hey good to know, looks like your setup is very close to mine. There's two sets of numbers on my sensor, one is a sticker and the other is engraved in. The engraved is 98086 8988 2 and the sticker is 89871349503. I've been told it came off an ls1 5th gen camaro, and so far the setting I've had the most luck with was the LS1 Aluminum.

I'll definately try to get a filter on the sensor ASAP. The previous owner even "descreened" the sensor so I bet you're right on with that. I have a good feeling that today is the day I get it all working. I'm also very glad to hear it all turned out well for your car, I read some of your older posts where you were still struggling with similar problems. Was a little worried you were still working out the bugs months later (and that i'd be doing the same).

Spiv

hooligan
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando, Fl
the ISC hose wasn't well settled, and was likely leaking. Found a filter to put on it and you were right, that definately stabalized the idle a great deal- the readings are a stable 22-28hz input to the system at idle.

I ended up with a mainscale of -24 to satisfy Vf within a 2v range, so it more or less things it's stock from there.

Off idle is still a little questionable, leans out for a moment every time but if I bring it up slowly it comes on nicely. If I hold it at a higher RPM it leans slightly, then catches up again, so I'm guessing that means the scaling on the MAF is a little off- what did you end up setting your adjustments to?

Also I assume that the AFL reading is in grams/sec, same as the MAF tuning adjustment?

Spiv

hooligan
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando, Fl
Now I'm confused. Today it decided it would cruise perfectly fine, totally drivable, but as soon as it starts to boost up it goes off the charts lean and of course craps out from there, but as soon as I let off the gas it goes back to the same perfectly acceptable cruiseing setup.

Spiv

hooligan
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando, Fl
almost there, she's up and running, cruising fine, boosting fine (though in need of a tune for certain).

Problems I'm still having, still stumped on:
* wants to run rich for the first 2-3 minutes, won't go into closed loop until then (narrowband heats up in 30-45 seconds)
* hesitates when I push the throttle in. Doesn't matter if it's 600rpm or 6000rpm, still bogs just a little before revving back up.

I'm definately going to give a writup about using the genII when this is all over, save someone else some of the problems I had.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
Spiv said:
* wants to run rich for the first 2-3 minutes, won't go into closed loop until then (narrowband heats up in 30-45 seconds)

the ECU runs open loop until the engine is up to temp.

Spiv said:
* hesitates when I push the throttle in. Doesn't matter if it's 600rpm or 6000rpm, still bogs just a little before revving back up.

sounds like something is still up w/the MAF factors. have you confirmed which MAF you have?

Spiv

hooligan
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando, Fl
yup, it's from a newer ls1 camaro, at this point the only one that runs even vaguely right is "ls1 aluminum." Same one that comes from the non-z06 c5 vettes.

The maft must be pretty close, it runs great as soon as it gets past that initial bog. It's not even that bad (not nearly as bad as a bad TPS), just enough to throw off my driving.