MAF Relocation

sixpatch

Chaser
Feb 13, 2010
Kernersville, NC
Ok. In my attempt to figure out how to put my HKS SSQV on my 87' 7MGTE, and NOT have my engine run raggedy, I'm looking to move my MAF sensor to the pressure side of the turbo. My idea is that I'll be measuring TOTAL air. My only hesitation is that I haven't seen anyone do this on a supra yet. How bad of an idea is this? Will the MAF sensor crush under the pressure? Will the MAF Housing hold up? Help. Has anyone done this yet, either successfully or unsuccessfully?
Thanks

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
You mean like this?

p1582461_1.jpg

p1582461_2.jpg

Lots of people have done it, but not with the OEM metering unit. You can't.

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

jetjock;1582460 said:
I wouldn't do it. I'd sell the car and use the money to sue the school district...

LMAO!
Damn- sometimes, you gots some good ones.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The 7MGTE does not use a MAF sensor. That is the first thing. It uses karman vortex air flow meter. The faster air is pulled through the meter, the faster the frequency from it. Boost is high pressure, slow movinig air. If you had mass air flow sensor (MAF) you could do it.

Or you could just reroute back into the intake. That has been done with that HKS valve.

sixpatch

Chaser
Feb 13, 2010
Kernersville, NC
Yeah. It's looking like I'll have to break down and get the recirculation kit till I can afford the ecm upgrades necessary to blow off to atmo. The reason I haven't done it already is that I'm afraid the SSQV (while a better bov) will basically be there for looks, because I won't be able to hear it. I know it's a loud valve, but do you know if I will still hear it if it's rerouted back into the intake?

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Ok so I'm lost completely on this one. I know of dozens of people that run HKS SSQV to include myself, and run it from just before the 3000 pipe. It isn't recirculated it just vents to atmosphere. I don't see where the problem is. Or am I missing this completely?

sixpatch

Chaser
Feb 13, 2010
Kernersville, NC
hvyman;1582536 said:
Maft pro.

Of course. Which is why I was trying to find some easy dirt cheap interim method while I save my pennies. Cuz then I'm doing the widebands and everything else. :eek:)

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

jetjock;1582517 said:
I see you've learned on your own something more valuable than what you may have missed in school. Props to you :)

But the question still stands. When recirculating an SSQV, will it still be audible? I don't care if it's quieter. I can live with that as long as it's still louder than my stock bypass valve

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Well the jackass in that video thought it was cool to slap one on his Supra....Should have taken the cash he used on that install and used it for a bullet instead to shoot himself.