machine shop question

hornet7288

Oct 18, 2005
Savannah, GA
I have my block and head in the machine shop getting all cleaned up for my turbo build. I mentioned to the guy doing the work about different head gasket thickness. The block has already been bored 20 over by whoever had it last so he is thinking that the head and block may have also been decked. What is a way I can tell him to measure it to see if it has been decked AND also that he can tell me what MHG thickness to go with? Thanks.

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Heights and thicknesses:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?97552-Head-Gasket-thickness-selection

Where to measure for block height:
new1a.jpg

Credit to IJ.

Mike

hornet7288

Oct 18, 2005
Savannah, GA
Since the cylinders are bored out 20 over and maybe possibly more (I'll know for sure tomorrow) do I need to get a metal head gasket that has the same bore? I never thought of this before and thought I would check. I have seen standard 83 bore, 84 and 86 bore. What would be a good place to get a gasket with this oversized bore if I do need to go this route?

At what point should I jump from the 1.4 MHG to the 2.0? The shop hasn't given me the measurements yet and hopefully I will know more tomorrow of how much they had to take off.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
If they're going to deck your block to prep the surface for a MHG, make sure they do it with that front timing cover plate. Otherwise your head will not seat right for any HG.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Never seen a 83mm bore 7m head gasket. Even the oem gasket is a larger bore than std piston bore. 84mm and 86mm gasket bore is the std. Lots of gaskets sizes are made between the sizes of 1.4 and 2.0 also, so don't just settle for one of two sizes you mentioned.

hornet7288

Oct 18, 2005
Savannah, GA
Ok so he came back with these measurements for the block and head:

the block is 198.17 MM
the head is 115.47 MM

I plugged these into the calculator and it is telling me I need a 2.2MM MHG. I don't want to pay to get one custom made or something. The block has been bored 20 over so would it be ok to get a 2.0 MM MHG? I was hoping the .20 over bore would help some with compensating for the HG being a little on the thinner side.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
hornet7288;1627465 said:
Ok so he came back with these measurements for the block and head:

the block is 198.17 MM
the head is 115.47 MM

I plugged these into the calculator and it is telling me I need a 2.2MM MHG. I don't want to pay to get one custom made or something. The block has been bored 20 over so would it be ok to get a 2.0 MM MHG? I was hoping the .20 over bore would help some with compensating for the HG being a little on the thinner side.

A 2.2 mm head gasket is a shelf stock gasket. no need to order a custom gasket.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Ok So i got the Block measured & its 198MM. Head is 116. By my math i would need a 1.87MM Head Gasket. My father is a tech for 20+ years & he worked on them some & said they are both completely flat & that i would have to decide what gasket to use so im stumped. Would a 2.0 MM Metal head gasket do or a 1.8MM MLS Gasket. I asked this same question on the Sticky Head Gasket Selection Thread but no one seems to read the last post of that thread.