• Total voters

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
88guy;1488171 said:
MONSTER!!!!!!! enough said......

Should be a killer dude! I look forward to seeing more!

Thanks...

Making this thing fit and actually make it work properly is proving to be more difficult then it looks...

As it sits now, I'll have to remove the motor to change the spark plugs...

Also, I might have to go to a smaller brake booster. I'm hoping an 8" dual would do the work.

If not, I might have to install and floor pedal set. Already got some pricing on a nice set... We'll see...

88guy

use to go 280KMH :(
Jun 13, 2009
Victoria BC Canada
Supraholics;1495362 said:
Thanks...

Making this thing fit and actually make it work properly is proving to be more difficult then it looks...

As it sits now, I'll have to remove the motor to change the spark plugs...

Also, I might have to go to a smaller brake booster. I'm hoping an 8" dual would do the work.

If not, I might have to install and floor pedal set. Already got some pricing on a nice set... We'll see...

That's GOING TO BE PITA x 1000 !!!!!!

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
I'm not often one to nay-say the impossible... but pulling the engine to change the spark-plugs is just too far, even for me.

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
88guy;1495480 said:
That's GOING TO BE PITA x 1000 !!!!!!

I'm afraid so... Fabrication and ingenuity is your friend....maybe :nono:

Keros;1495509 said:
I'm not often one to nay-say the impossible... but pulling the engine to change the spark-plugs is just too far, even for me.

Not pull it completely, but probably drop the subframe or such. Not that uncommon for production cars. Many cars like the Ilumina, you have to actually rotate the engine to change the spark plugs. That happens when you have a badly designed V6 FWD combo...

xzeror;1495711 said:
this looks beastly.:evil2:

I took a ride in a V8 supra, the one Bryan built and the ride was amazing thanks to all the torque... I'm sure this thing would be a joy to drive!

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Nice to see things progressing, can't wait to hear this thing run, I know it's a ways off, but at least you're doing it!

Supraholics;1496115 said:
Many cars like the Ilumina, you have to actually rotate the engine to change the spark plugs. That happens when you have a badly designed V6 FWD combo...

What's an Ilumina? ;)

I'm sure you meant Lumina, which is the same procedure as the Monte Carlo, Impala, Regal, Century, etc.

Not that big of a deal, quite easy, there's a special tool, or you can use a ratchet strap. That's immediately what I thought of when you said that, figuring there should be a way to tilt the engine to one side when the time comes to change plugs

Last edited:

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
supra90turbo;1496163 said:
Nice to see things progressing, can't wait to hear this thing run, I know it's a ways off, but at least you're doing it!

What's an Ilumina? ;)

I'm sure you meant Lumina, which is the same procedure as the Monte Carlo, Impala, Regal, Century, etc.

Not that big of a deal, quite easy, there's a special tool, or you can use a ratchet strap. That's immediately what I thought of when you said that, figuring there should be a way to tilt the engine to one side when the time comes to change plugs

:biglaugh: Yup... not sure how it escaped me...Must've been thinking Tokico LOL...

About the swap - Only reason things are getting more complicated is because I want the engine behind the strut tower and I want the whole thing to look professionally done, if not, it would've been a piece of cake... Also, all the work I did to get the motor mount templates, in the trash now LOL...

Right now my main concern is making the bellhousing and clutch/flywheel combo. The rest is nothing... well, maybe getting the 3 ECUs to work properly might be a little bit of an issue, but the rest is easy as pie... or maybe not :biglaugh:

Anyhow, this is the first time I try out anything like this and it takes tons of hours of research. Then you also have a lot of trying things out. Drop the engine in, take it out, put it back in, etc...takes a lot of time and work.

It would help enormously if I had a machine shop or its tools at my disposal...

Take a look at the pics below. I moved the engine 4 inches back so far and hopefully won't have to move it back any further. This way the front of the block is aligned with the strut tower and still looks awesome cause you can see all 12 intake inlets LOL...

engine_bay.jpg

cabin.jpg

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Hmm, looks pretty good in there. Seems fairly compact thanks to the Vee angle.

Why move it so far back? Is it much longer than the 7M?

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
supra90turbo;1496205 said:
Hmm, looks pretty good in there. Seems fairly compact thanks to the Vee angle.

Why move it so far back? Is it much longer than the 7M?

Yeah, thanks to the 60 degree angle...

Can't remember how much longer, but it is a bit longer than the 7M when I measured it. A bit taller too because of the intakes. That will be solved once I cut the subframe.

Even the 7M sits past the strut tower, that's why I moved it back. 4" is not much space-wise, but it would make a world of difference performance-wise!

I'll be moving the seat back and the pedals as well and the the gas tank will be split into two and placed low where the back seats used to be...

Radiator will be placed back where the tank used to be...

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Supraholics;1496208 said:
Yeah, thanks to the 60 degree angle...

Can't remember how much longer, but it is a bit longer than the 7M when I measured it. A bit taller too because of the intakes. That will be solved once I cut the subframe.

Even the 7M sits past the strut tower, that's why I moved it back. 4" is not much space-wise, but it would make a world of difference performance-wise!

I'll be moving the seat back and the pedals as well and the the gas tank will be split into two and placed low where the back seats used to be...

Radiator will be placed back where the tank used to be...
Will it get enough airflow there? Looks good so far, can't wait to see this run. What are the chances of a V12 swap kit group buy? :p
-AM3

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Another MkIII;1496225 said:
Will it get enough airflow there? Looks good so far, can't wait to see this run. What are the chances of a V12 swap kit group buy? :p
-AM3

What are you refering to when you say airflow? The engine, the radiator?

There are 0 (ZERO) chances of a group buy. I'm making this one and that's probably it... I really doubt there will be another person crazy enough to do it again...

Would be a lot easier to go auto too...

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Supraholics;1496379 said:
What are you refering to when you say airflow? The engine, the radiator?

There are 0 (ZERO) chances of a group buy. I'm making this one and that's probably it... I really doubt there will be another person crazy enough to do it again...

Would be a lot easier to go auto too...
I meant airflow over the radiator. And I was joking about the group buy, lol.
-AM3

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Supraholics;1496796 said:
I have to get it running first lol...

Yeah it will. I'll have adapt some air intakes for it.

Good plan. The added weight of the radiator/coolant and fuel tanks in the rear will help balance the weight out in the front a bit too. I can't wait to see this thing run.
-AM3

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Another MkIII;1497488 said:
Good plan. The added weight of the radiator/coolant and fuel tanks in the rear will help balance the weight out in the front a bit too. I can't wait to see this thing run.
-AM3

Yeah, that's the plan.

By moving the fuel tank in front of the rear axle and keeping it low to the ground should give the car a bit better balance.