LSD Fluid choise - your experience

Supraholic

Mar 31, 2005
Houston, TX
I bought a used LSD from a 90T for my 87T from a member in this list. Now, I am confused of what fluid to use in the differential. I did some search in this forum, and people talk about Redline/Royal Purple/Ford Motor Company etc.. in 75w90 grade. The differential require 80w90 fluid per the book. Any thoughts on this?

I used 75W90 Mobil1 fluid in my previous differential for the last 4 years. Now, I am replacing it since it is making a loud whine as car runs. so, if I use 75w90 fluid in my new (used) differential, will I break this differential too?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I run Amsoil Severe Gear in the trans, and Redline synthetic hypoid gear oil (like the MANUAL reccomends) for the LSD. Use the weights reccomended by toyota.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I use Redline MT-90 in the transmission, it works very well. As for the rear differential, I used this bit of advice from Reg:

Reg Reimer said:
2.2: Differential Carriers

Another condition that may trouble your Supras differential is lack of regular oil changes; this will lead to differential failure or premature wear out. The MA-70 differential holds a very small amount of oil so it needs to be changed regularly. Cold climates are very hard on the differential. I recommend using a good quality synthetic in cold climates. I do not recommend standard 80/90 wt oils in any Toyota differentials used in cold climates. Using 75/90-wt LSD differential carrier oil from Ford motor company makes Supra differentials run quieter and smoother than any other oils tested.

Some LSD differentials in MA-70 and MA-71 cars have excessive LSD {limited slip differential} cage pressure causing premature clutch pack failures after some cars have become stuck in mud or snow, I have opened up badly abused differentials where the LSD oil is completely burnt and Dried up from the heat of one wheel smoking while the other is locked. If you notice some chattery noise from the rear of the car when turning corners donít panic: you have a supra with a very tight LSD differential carrier. On a Supra with tight LSD you can avoid the above clutch pack failure by using the previously mentioned LSD differential carrier oil from Ford motor company. This oil has increased protection for the clutch pack and has proven to be the best differential oil for all Supras from 1982 to 1992. Don't ask me why, all I can say is this oil works like magic. Note: A number of club members are using synthetic oils from Amsoil and Esso in their differentials with good results, one word of caution should be noted." Synthetic oils may make a some differentials that are already noisy, noisier."