Lsd fail?

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
ok guys, so me being a genius thought i could park my car where i usually park it & to get there i have to go through the front yard... well its been raining for the past 2-3 days straight... &

p1819504_1.png

FUCK

What i noticed is that one tire is spinning & the other isn't moving at all.. Now please don't go all bashing on me. from what i understand in LSD BOTH WHEELS SHOULD BE MOVING.. & non LSD only one tires should be moving.. my Supra is a 87 Turbo with LSD. I used google but all i get is the same thing. if you jack the car up & move the wheels by hand this will happen: Lsd, both wheels move forward, open one moves forward the other backwards, i oviously can't do the test.. & im no drivetrain or suspension expert.

so has the LSD failed?

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
BorHor;1819541 said:
The LSD is now 25 years old so it is probably worn. Get it rebuilt and it should be good as new.

Exactly. What keep both wheels going the same speed is the fact that they have to overpower a set of clutches inside the diff, which happens everytime you make a turn. 25 years of those clutches sliding and they no longer have the original break-away torque or whatever it's called.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
No idea, never had it done. Make some calls, tell them you'll remove it yourself (super easy, I've done it twice by myself) and that you'll be handing it over to them.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Turbo Habanero;1819549 said:
how much on avg does a rebuild cost?

Not sure. Im looking at what Weir performance has. My MKII's LSD is going out as well, makes a clunking noise on the rear passenger side when i start moving forward.
These cars are killing me, MKII needs new u-joints, LSD rebuild, Rack & Pinion, new sunroof shoes & cables. MKIII, i need the LSD clutches apparently, targa top seals, targa top repainted (some rust spots on targa) need 89+ tail light relay box. Sucks to not have a job anymore & whats more frustrating is finding new one. Shit will get done eventually though, i guarantee it :biglaugh:

hockysa

might be a good idea to rebuild it but what's happening here doesn't show that the LSD has failed.

LSD is not a locked diff, it has limited slip. If one wheel is in a pothole and not getting any traction at all, there's nothing for it to limit and behaves like an open diff.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
D.J.T.;1819565 said:
Not sure. Im looking at what Weir performance has. My MKII's LSD is going out as well, makes a clunking noise on the rear passenger side when i start moving forward.
These cars are killing me, MKII needs new u-joints, LSD rebuild, Rack & Pinion, new sunroof shoes & cables. MKIII, i need the LSD clutches apparently, targa top seals, targa top repainted (some rust spots on targa) need 89+ tail light relay box. Sucks to not have a job anymore & whats more frustrating is finding new one. Shit will get done eventually though, i guarantee it :biglaugh:

Are all the bolts and nuts that hold it to the subframe torqued/there?

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
hockysa;1819641 said:
might be a good idea to rebuild it but what's happening here doesn't show that the LSD has failed.

LSD is not a locked diff, it has limited slip. If one wheel is in a pothole and not getting any traction at all, there's nothing for it to limit and behaves like an open diff.

ahhh i see, makes sense. Thank you!