LSD AND NON LSD QUESTION!

joel903

Apr 6, 2005
Conover,NC
Ok so i have a 87 supra na 5-speed and everything checks out that it should hav a 4.30 lsd equip. The vin plate on the firewall say g285 and the lsd has the stick and such on it.

My question is if you were to jack up the car and put it in neutral and spin one back wheel would the other one spin in the same direction or in the opposite direction?

Any input would be help,

Thanks guys

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
From what I'm told, not all types of LSD's spin the same direction in such a case, but most do... I know mine does.

joel903

Apr 6, 2005
Conover,NC
Thats what i would think also, i work at getrag and we deal with the rear ends of corvettes and cadillac cts and some of the axles that are finished when i spin them just buy hand they would spin in opposite directions. These are LSD equipped rear ends.

Well

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
My bro just picked up a 3.7 from the junk yard when you spin one wheel the other wheel might not spin or spin in the other direction but if you spin the drive shaft both wheels should always turn in the same direction

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
With the wheels up in the air when I spin one of the wheels as if the car were moving forward (on my 4.30 LSD) the other one also spins as if the car were moving forward.
I just had it apart and I know it's working right.
But, it seems to me I've seen some posi rear-ends (not toyota) that did spin in oposite directions.

lilazni3uoy

AEM Powered
Apr 1, 2005
NoRCaL and SoCaL
www.cardomain.com
most of the lsd units you get with "clutches", the tires will rotate one way, unless you have like a Detroit true trac which is not available for mk3's those units will rotate like it's a open diff, but will light up both wheels when you get on it

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
you really have to have the tires on the pavement to tell....or take the diff apart. even open diffs the tires can spin together in the same direction if the tranny is in Neutral....and lsd can be very loose untill they sense loads of torque then they tighten up....if you really want to know what it is....take the diff plate off and look.