LPG (propane) Carb options.

amichie

Apr 13, 2006
sYDNEy
OK here is my dilema.

I have a impco 225 LPG carb on my 7mge. I have found that it is too restrictive and since the air flows through it regardless if its running on LPG or unleaded it affects the performance both on LPG and on unleaded.

The impco 225 is rated to 329cfm. This sounds like enough but if I remove it and put the put the plastic pipe back on I get a noticeable improvement in performance on unleaded above about 4500rpm.

So the question is what is the simplest upgrade option.? I am not considering gas injection as the cost would be too high.

See pic below

p1096497_1.jpg

amichie

Apr 13, 2006
sYDNEy
CRE;1096519 said:
Speed/Density and a butterfly valve to bypass the impco?

Yeah. That is what I was leaning towards.

Since my model j converter would also need to be upgraded if I got a bigger carb such as the impco425.

I have a spare throttle body that could be used as a butterfly/by pass as you mentioned.

I will need to fabricate some piping to make it all work. Maybe just out of painted mild steel mandrel bends from the exhaust shop.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Just so you understand, I mentioned converting to speed density so that you can avoid having to route everything through the same inlet. In this case the intake would just Y out to two different air filters with no VAF in either. But then again there is the cost of additional hardware.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
^^^Heh, I had thought the same thing. Just figured he'd have already replied if he had anything to add.

amichie

Apr 13, 2006
sYDNEy
CRE;1097047 said:
Just so you understand, I mentioned converting to speed density so that you can avoid having to route everything through the same inlet. In this case the intake would just Y out to two different air filters with no VAF in either. But then again there is the cost of additional hardware.

Don't you still need either a VAF or a translated MAF reading when on LPG for the ignition timing control.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
You do need airflow data, yes. Speed/Density calculates airflow based on manifold pressue and air temp. It'd give you the room you might otherwise not have... but as I said, there is cost to consider.

I run Speed/Density with the MAFT Pro. Not cheap, but it gives me more than just the ability to delete my VAF.

How are you controlling your air to fuel mixtures?

EDIT: See, plenty of room to play now (old pics): http://www.fadingworld.com/Supra/Engine/20080426%20- Engine/

Whatever route you go you may need to build some sort of bypass. I'm not familiar enough with the internals or flow restrictions of that unit to suggest anything more.

amichie

Apr 13, 2006
sYDNEy
CRE;1097398 said:
You do need airflow data, yes. Speed/Density calculates airflow based on manifold pressue and air temp. It'd give you the room you might otherwise not have... but as I said, there is cost to consider.

I run Speed/Density with the MAFT Pro. Not cheap, but it gives me more than just the ability to delete my VAF.

How are you controlling your air to fuel mixtures?

EDIT: See, plenty of room to play now (old pics): http://www.fadingworld.com/Supra/Engine/20080426 - Engine/

Whatever route you go you may need to build some sort of bypass. I'm not familiar enough with the internals or flow restrictions of that unit to suggest anything more.

Thanks for the pics. Looks great. I presume the filter is mounted in front somewhere?

The impco 225 is very restrictive. It is rated at 329cfm at 1.5 inches Hg Vac.

But even that seems optimisitic.