lowering tokico vs koni

Don't know if it is related to the Tokico... I put blue's on my 89 along with new poly SS bushing on the lower contol arms. I use Eibach lowering springs and Whiteline sway bars. Since I did this setup, I find my front "bounces" or rebounds with a jump much more over bumps or dips. I think it has to do with the Poli bushings which are not "bound" to the control arms like the stock rubber bushings were and I think this had removed some of the dampning in the suspension. But, like I mentioned, it is all a guess as I'm no expert, but very observent! :sarcasm: If it is the fault of the blue's, I wish I had opted for the more $$ Koni's to not have the rebound effect.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
surferofthesnow;987013 said:
If i want a stiffer suspension setup, should I go with the illumina or koni?

Koni's far and away the stiffer shock. I have a set right now and I have them set for softest ride + 1, and they are still way stiffer than my old KYB gr2's. Around town I miss those KYB's!

Quality, no comparison, it's the Koni's hands down. How many times have you heard "my illumna's are leaking"? They seem to blow out seals pretty easily.

FWIW I think the KYB gr2's are a much better shock than anything tokico makes, good dampening (non-adjustable) and they seemed pretty tough. At least that was my impression for the year that I had them.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
suprabad;987056 said:
FWIW I think the KYB gr2's are a much better shock than anything tokico makes, good dampening (non-adjustable) and they seemed pretty tough. At least that was my impression for the year that I had them.

yet i have had reports of all four gr-2's blowing in less then a month on some lowered cars.

sold them tokico's and they are still using them (to my knowledge) 6 months later.

it seems to be luck of the draw.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Ckanderson;987083 said:
yet i have had reports of all four gr-2's blowing in less then a month on some lowered cars.

sold them tokico's and they are still using them (to my knowledge) 6 months later.

it seems to be luck of the draw.

Gee, I've never heard that about the KYB's, but you are certainly in a position to get a lot more feedback than I ever would. I defer to your opinion.

It's weird though, I beat the shit out of my KYB's (cars lowered) and they never weeped a drop. However, I think I did hear something about the KYB gr2's getting some sort of upgrade from the factory a couple of years ago...could it be seals? I think it was KYB gr2's...I just can't recall for sure. Are these newer KYB's that are blowing? Always seemed like a really tough shock.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
newer ones. i even warned the guy before he bought em..

their gonna blow

no they wont.

ok then.......

one month later...

so yea the gr-2's blew.