lowering engine Temp, coolant question.

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
I want to purchase a aluminum Radiator but since i m lacking money, i would like to know how i can improve engine Temp. everytime i take the supra over 30 mile drive, my coolant starts to overflow in the Reservoir. I understand the 7M's tend to get hot cause of the Iron Block. I like to know what some of you guys use as coolant wise, or custom mixes you made it yourself or other things..

It's a stock motor and stock radiator. just want to know how to lower engine temp. best thing to use or some of you guys use to make a difference.

BTW i don't have a BHG and i currently have Green Coolant in the car. Brand unknown.

thanks.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ummm...hate to tell you this, but it's not because "7M's tend to get hot cause of the Iron Block". If you are having overheat problems or the coolant is overflowing the reservoir, you need to look elsewhere.

First thing I would do is go buy a NAPA block tester and see if there is exhaust gas in the coolant system ;)

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Something isn't right, the system is a closed system and the Reservoir is supposed to remove air from the system itself. Are you filling up the res. completely full or ???

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
jdub;1409935 said:
Ummm...hate to tell you this, but it's not because "7M's tend to get hot cause of the Iron Block". If you are having overheat problems or the coolant is overflowing the reservoir, you need to look elsewhere.

First thing I would do is go buy a NAPA block tester and see if there is exhaust gas in the coolant system ;)

well i m not having overheating problems at all. I have driven the car 50 miles to a drag strip, dragged the car and 50 miles back home and not a single overheat and that was about month and a half ago and i daily the supra and i havent had any overheating issue. It's just when i drive over 30 miles or so, i have notice the reservoir overflowing. I m thinking the coolant might be reaching it's boiling point or the stock radiator can't keep up with the cooling.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
fonz87;1409939 said:
well i m not having overheating problems at all. I have driven the car 50 miles to a drag strip, dragged the car and 50 miles back home and not a single overheat and that was about month and a half ago and i daily the supra and i havent had any overheating issue. It's just when i drive over 30 miles or so, i have notice the reservoir overflowing. I m thinking the coolant might be reaching it's boiling point or the stock radiator can't keep up with the cooling.

Right...that's not overheating :sarcasm:
And, exhaust gas doesn't push coolant out of the radiator either.

LOL...do what you want. After denial is not a river in Egypt :biglaugh:

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
fonz87;1409948 said:
nevermind, it's really unless trying to get advice on this forum.

For guys that are hard headed and/or don't listen...I can see why you would say that ;)

I already told you what I would do...of course, you dismissed it right away. It's a hot iron black after all...why would you want to eliminate one of the top causes coolant is pushed out of the reservoir?

::focl::

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
jdub;1409951 said:
For guys that are hard headed and/or don't listen...I can see why you would say that ;)

I already told you what i would do...of course, you dismissed it right away. It's a hot iron black after all...why would you want to eliminate one of the top causes coolant is pushed out of the reservoir?

funny, i m not really hard headed, i just asked for advice for what coolants do people usually use to lower temp besides going Aluminum radiators. But thanks anyways.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
fonz87;1409948 said:
nevermind, it's really unless trying to get advice on this forum.

God Damnit, Fonz.

When you were aiming your timing light at the cam gears and telling us they were 180 off we gave you an explanation.

When we're telling you to do a Leak Down Test. You're telling us you don't have BHG.

Well Dumbass, It can be a number of things; from a radiator cap to a blown head gasket.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
fonz87;1409955 said:
funny, i m not really hard headed, i just asked for advice for what coolants do people usually use to lower temp besides going Aluminum radiators. But thanks anyways.

He is saying your temps should be normal if you are running 50/50 or 75/25...remember water is a better cooler than antifreeze. Try using some water wetter from redline.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
fonz87;1409955 said:

That's just it...it does not matter what coolant you use. Coolant simply transfers heat to the radiator...they all work the same and use the same chemical (Ethylene Glycol). The difference is in the additives and level of corrosion protection.

If you are pushing coolant out like you described, there is no coolant on earth that will help. If it is a BHG, a block test will tell you in a sec...driving with a BHG is asking for other issues down the road.

If it's the cooling system:
- Bad Rad cap
- Stuck T stat
- Bad fan clutch
- Clogged radiator

A pressure test would be a very good idea.

Of course, what would I know :sarcasm:

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Water wetter does not play well with some coolants...Toyota Red is one of them. Using it in straight water for the track is fine though.

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
jdub;1409959 said:
That's just it...it does not matter what coolant you use. Coolant simply transfers heat to the radiator...they all work the same and use the same chemical (Ethylene Glycol). The difference is in the additives and level of corrosion protection.

If you are pushing coolant out like you described, there is no coolant on earth that will help. If it is a BHG, a block test will tell you in a sec...driving with a BHG is asking for other issues down the road.

If it's the cooling system:
- Bad Rad cap
- Stuck T stat
- Bad fan clutch
- Clogged radiator

A pressure test would be a very good idea.

Of course, what would I know :sarcasm:

thank you, that's all i was looking for. I have a brand new T stat. I will replace the Rad Cap and i will have a block tester tested soon.

thank you

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
jdub;1409963 said:
Water wetter does not play well with some coolants...Toyota Red is one of them. Using it in straight water for the track is fine though.

True, I used it with green and a 75/25 mix so it was mainly water, until this winter and I'm back to 50/50. I'll see how well it reacts with 50/50.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Once you stop pissing out coolant, Zerex G05 Zum mentioned is excellent, or Toyota Red. Valvoline (Zerex) makes a version of the red now as well...phosphate HOAT chemistry just like Toyota. Any of the above will require a very through flush of the system to change from green.

Mario - Watch it carefully. It can slime a system in short order if the chemistry's conflict.