Lower strut bolt question

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
Below are some pics of the FRONT lower strut bolt. Notice there is a thick washer there. I've done this bolt up damn tight and there isnt much thread left over. The other side doest not have a washer, it could be missing (perhaps someone didnt put it back somewhere along the line) or maybe it was never supposed to be there in the first place.

can anyone tell me if there is supposed to be a washer there?

p1512250_1.jpg

p1512250_2.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
as far as i know no. what are you worried about? i just did springs an shocks and i dont remember seeing a washer there.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
i dont use torque settings as such, rather i ensure everything is as tight as possible without overdoing it. with a bolt like the lower strut, its pretty hard to over-tighten so as tight as possible works for me.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
spiller;1512343 said:
i dont use torque settings as such, rather i ensure everything is as tight as possible without overdoing it. with a bolt like the lower strut, its pretty hard to over-tighten so as tight as possible works for me.

Wow, really?!? That's terrifying on vital safety equipment like suspension components. On Non-critical bolts it's understandable.

So concerned about the washer but don't care about about correct torque specs, sounds like your priories are a little reversed.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
obviously they're there for a reason but at the same time, do you think every auto shop has the torque specs for every car they work on? doubtful. there is a way to tighten bolts by feel, just ask any fitter

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
usually they do or can look them up. but majority of the mechanics out there are lazy and want to get to the next job, so an impact blast does the job for them.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yes, they have access to the torque specs (alldata) and yes good shops will use them.

It's also why shops have shitty reputations for half assing things...

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
On car assembly lines computer-controlled DC electric tools are primarily used on critical assemblies, such as the steering wheel, wheel lugs, axles and transmission. Everything is torqued to spec and recorded electronically. Why do you think they bother to go to all that trouble?

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Yep, too tight and a bolt can exceed its yield limit and start to stretch making it looser over time even if the nut doesn't back off. So as tight as you can get it is not always good either. I've met one person that was pretty good at hitting torque settings by feel. You know what, I'm not him and I don't have the lifetime of experience with a torque wrench to be able to gauge such things. So I'll just keep my set of torque wrenches handy.