low psi, boost leak or dead turbo?

Hello, iam new to this forum and i recently bought a 91 supra ... i have encountered some problems.... my stock boost gauge only shoots up to 4 psi. the second problem is that i found some oil in the turbo pipe. could it be a seized turbo? i dont shoot out smoke do.. its just those two my problems.

thank you :1zhelp:

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
Minoria_Zelekta said:
Hello, iam new to this forum and i recently bought a 91 supra ... i have encountered some problems.... my stock boost gauge only shoots up to 4 psi. the second problem is that i found some oil in the turbo pipe. could it be a seized turbo? i dont shoot out smoke do.. its just those two my problems.

thank you :1zhelp:

uhm... you may have a boost leak, that might be causing low boost.
Check IC pipes and bend them to see if they have holes.
if your looking @ your stock boost gauge it's not very accurate, so you might want to invest into a new one.

after 15+ years it's no surprise there is some oil in the accordian hose( is that the turbo pipe your talking about?) If it's brand new then you have a problem.

is your turbo stock?? rebuilt or not?? Ct-26 or aftermarket?
list your mods as well, it might help us.

thanks.. i will bend the pipe to look for holes, and yhea i will look into buying an aftermarket boost gauge. the hoses are not brand new they are the stock original ones.
*i do have the stock turbo with original miles
*my mods = cone intake filter and a megan muffler with no cats all straight with the stock exhaust.
Also ive been wondering if its possible to raise my boost with the exhaust computer? thanks in advance.

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
Minoria_Zelekta said:
thanks.. i will bend the pipe to look for holes, and yhea i will look into buying an aftermarket boost gauge. the hoses are not brand new they are the stock original ones.
*i do have the stock turbo with original miles
*my mods = cone intake filter and a megan muffler with no cats all straight with the stock exhaust.
Also ive been wondering if its possible to raise my boost with the exhaust computer? thanks in advance.

Check the IC hose that connects to the tubo carefully thats the one that takes most of the beating because of the heat.
If u have oiled down the intake filter when u cleaned it, that also might be a reason it has oil in the accordian hose.

u can raise the boost by getting a 3" dp ( BIC DP FTW) and 3" catback and and get a manual boost controller PM DRJonez or if u want get an electrical boost controller (the work better, but manual BC are cheaper BTW)

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
Stay between 10-12 psi, you might hit fuel cut if its a cold night out.

and yea do all maintainence first ^^ like he said before you up the boost.
has the HG ever been changed? You using ARP hardware if u have changed it? If not change them NOW!

yhea i know i should take care of all the maintenance first which iam doing. And i also know that i shouldnt be looking for a boost controller yet but all i want is to at least run stock boost for a while . so this is what iam gonna do
-check all the hoses (leaks, holes , etc)
-how about vacuum leaks?
-get aftermarket boost gauge for correct readings
-what else should i add to the list?

i have a few questions please disregard ignorance... what exactly is HG? thanks again.

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
Before i threw a bearing I was having boost problems.

Turned out my turbo was only half bolted onto the exhaust manifold. Check for exhaust leaks pre-turbo.

7MsuprO

Apr 29, 2006
Huntington Beach CA/Ohio
Well if you get everything squared away, you should have no problem running stock boost without a boost controller. Do what you suggested which is check all the hoses, also check the power steering idle up hose on the underneath of the accordian hose (that ones a pain). A HG is a headgasket btw.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
HG= Head Gasket (weak link in this engine, well, the head bolt torque values actually) MHG= Metal Head Gasket (start investing for one of these)

BTW, what's an exhaust computer?
The oil in your intercooler pipes is natural, it's due to the PCV system recirculating back into the turbo and towards the intake manifold. You should see how much oil is in the intercooler ;).
I would seriously look into replacing the stock hoses with hard pipes. Universal aluminum pipes work wonders on this car and you can actually make a better do-it-yourself kit with these than any premade kit made out on the market. All you need is common sense, clamps, couplers, hacksaw, BOV (blow off vavle) and pipe with flange for it (you can weld one on, or buy a short section of pipe with one pre made onto it from ebay for like 25 bucks.) You'll probably spend 175 tops for the piping and couplers compared to +300 bucks for a premade kit.

thanks alot guys great forum , ohh and i meant "stock computer" not "exhaust computer" haha/ sorry about that. i dont think the head gasket has been changed .. what would be my symptoms if i had a blow HG? .... as soon as i check , replace , and fix whatever is needed i will update you guys with info thanks.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Blown head gasket symptoms are: Rising and or unsteady coolant temps, "waterfall" noises behind the dash, loss of coolant without any indication where it went, and "milkshake" look under the oil cap and dipstick, sweet smelling exhaust, and sudden loss of power.