Low oil Pressure. Oil line install.

Pyrite

Jun 25, 2008
Yamhill, Or
Ok as you can see from the time of this post I have been searching for quite some time. I have found useful info but I would also like your guy's opinion on this as well.

Issue : As stated low oil pressure. Aprox 5-10 psi at idle but will not increase beyond 30 psi. The engine ran "normal" (20-70psi) oil pressure previously and the only thing that changed between then and now is I have installed the soft oil line kit from driftmotion for my ct-26. The kit removes a banjo bolt but can this by itself increase flow enough to lower my pressure by this much?

I have not checked to see if my oil cooler valve is stuck open yet but from my reading I know this could be a potential issue. I also have learned from lurking that our oil system is a high volume system and not high pressure but I have also read that at least 10psi per 1k rpm is required. By that measure I can drive my car avoiding boost and keeping my rpm down without causing damage. Correct me if I am wrong on that statement I have been working on this car for far to long to hurt it now. I will have to post my build sometime. I'm really tired and I think I just rambled on a bit so I'm going to leave this till morning. Thanks for any input.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
It's not the new turbo oil line. It may be something else you did while installing it though.

The oil cooler relief valve can cause this. You can shim the valve with a few washers and see. A better option is to remove the stock filter head and switch to a full flow, thermostat controlled cooler circuit.

Pyrite

Jun 25, 2008
Yamhill, Or
The only things that changed when I had to turbo off to install the kit was to put all my exhaust shields back on and to replace my turbo 2 manifold gasket. I have been reading about changing to a full flow thermostat controlled system as well. I would love to switch to a thermostat system. The only part about that setup I am confused about is the re-route. From my research I learned that as is the oil cooler dumps right back into the pan so it's just bleeding pressure when it is open. Where do I send the oil instead of back into the pan and how do I do it. (Actually I just re-read a thread and I think I get it now. It eliminates the tube to the oil pan. The filter becomes a hub of sorts for the system, routing oil strait into the motor when cool and running it through the cooler then motor when the oil reaches a certain temp.

So for now I guess I will shim the valve. 5-7mm seems to be what I have been reading.

by the way I will be re-installing my EGR. Just thought I would throw that out there as it seems I was mistaken in removing it (and it has turned into kind of a big deal on this forum with many locked threads do to disagreements). For the record I removed it before joining the Forum.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i hear 5mm shims around here, and i played with the idea of removing my egr after i took off the broken one. after reading about how it'll clean up emissions and make the car run cleaner and a little more efficiently, i bought a used one and put it back on.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Pyrite;1129936 said:
The only things that changed when I had to turbo off to install the kit was to put all my exhaust shields back on and to replace my turbo 2 manifold gasket. I have been reading about changing to a full flow thermostat controlled system as well. I would love to switch to a thermostat system. The only part about that setup I am confused about is the re-route. From my research I learned that as is the oil cooler dumps right back into the pan so it's just bleeding pressure when it is open. Where do I send the oil instead of back into the pan and how do I do it. (Actually I just re-read a thread and I think I get it now. It eliminates the tube to the oil pan. The filter becomes a hub of sorts for the system, routing oil strait into the motor when cool and running it through the cooler then motor when the oil reaches a certain temp.

So for now I guess I will shim the valve. 5-7mm seems to be what I have been reading.

by the way I will be re-installing my EGR. Just thought I would throw that out there as it seems I was mistaken in removing it (and it has turned into kind of a big deal on this forum with many locked threads do to disagreements). For the record I removed it before joining the Forum.

Is this the thread?
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62838

Tells you how to set up a full flow circuit pretty well.

5-7mm applies to the oil pump relief valve...the cooler relief is different. You want just enough to get your pressure to 40-45 psi at 3000 RPM. Shim too much and you will not get flow through the stock cooler.

Yeah...putting the EGR back on is a good idea ;)

Pyrite

Jun 25, 2008
Yamhill, Or
alright well that takes care of that. Not fixed yet but I should have all I need to get it fixed. Next up what I hope is a boost leak. But I'll take care of that after the oil issue.

Thanks for the help

Pyrite

Jun 25, 2008
Yamhill, Or
Been a long time. Sorry for the delay. Oil pressure is up a little but I still can't crack fourty. But some very good news. When I said "Next up what I hope is a boost leak". I was having trouble boosting above 3k engine would just fall flat on its face. I was hoping it was just a crack or loose connection but no luck. It was the egr removal. It was causing the car to surge at idle and die after a bit. Once the egr was back on and cleaned engine runs perfect. Boosts all the way to 6k. The car is really a kick in the pants when you step on it. I love it all the more now. And we just pulled my little brothers Supra in to the garage to start putting it back together. White '87 NA 5 speed. I'll have to get him to create an account. jdub thanks for the advice on the egr. Ok so back to what i learned about the oil pressure.

I disconnected a line from the cooler to see if it was stuck open or opening early. On start up no oil but if you give it a bit of gas to raise oil pressure it starts spewing so I think the spring is worn out and it's opening to soon. I'll see if I can order a new spring for it tomorrow. Ok back to the garage.