Loud, single click and no start.

Aug 12, 2010
P.G. County, Maryland
I just tried to jummp my car. It's supposed to get below freezing tonight and i wanted to let her idle for a while to warm up sonce i haven't in a while. My battery is gone, i loaned it to a friend because his died and i can't use my car anyways. I put the old one in just to complete the curcuit and tried to jump start it. When i plug in the battery my interior lighs come on and such, just like normal. However, when i turn the key, i hear one very loud CLICK from fight behing the dash. I had my brother try so i could listed. It seems to be coming from right behind the motor, like starter position. After the noise, i have no more power. Lights wont come on, can't try again with the key. I unplugged the battery and waited a few seconds, then plugged it back in, but it wont start, and my lights arent back on. I checked the fusible links and fuses in the bay, and under the driver side kick panel. what am i looking at here? Starter solenoid, fuse, starter, starter motor? Its really cold here, and has been for a few days, if that means anything. C'mon, monkeys. I know you know. -.- (91' turbo auto.)

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Replace the contacts for the solenoid, in the starter, or replace the starter.
A strong battery may help it last a little longer, but its something that happens to all starters of that style.

Blackdawg

Taco Soup..my rides
Oct 12, 2010
Wyoming
Its not battery not the starter. This just happened to me on my tacoma and a friends bronc. I know it wasnt the starter on my truck cuz i had just put a new one in a year ago.

All the problem was was no voltage, was putting out like 2.1v lol

new battery is needed :)

Aug 12, 2010
P.G. County, Maryland
Thanks guys. BTW i just realized how ridiculous my spelling was the other night when i posted that, I sound like a retard. lol, Going outside now with a different battery to try it. If you're wrong... Oh, just hope you're not wrong...

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Lol, run a decent size jumper wire from the batter positive post down to the terminal on the starter with the brown connector/blue wire. Pull the connector out and touch your jumper to the spade thats on the starter. MAKE SURE you car is in park or nuetral depending on if its manual or automatic or its going to run you over.

Aug 12, 2010
P.G. County, Maryland
That is... So comforting. "Alrighty babe, be easy now, i'm is just going to put this one little wire right over here and its going to make you all bet- MOTHER OF GOD, MY LEGS!"

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Basically I'm just running a wire from my battery to my starter, right Mr. Rocket Scientist?

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
take a stick and try tapping the starter while someone cranks it. If it starts replace the contacts in the starter.

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
spikesnstuff0905;1649819 said:
...I might have just slipped it on...... ... maybe...

ide tighten it. it happens to me all the time . i dont know why everybody is saying the starter is the problem. the OP clearly stated that the whole car has no power what so ever, so, why would the starter be the culprit?

one person says stater and everybody jumps on the band wagon.

who cares what what i think though. enough of my damn rants. GL OP

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Sounds like you put a junk battery in. Put a good battery in and start it if not tap on the starter solenoid and see if it starts. Usually clicks are 1 of 2, either bad battery or bad starter.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Depending on what the current (a little electrical pun there) symptom is super secret's point has merit. If there's no power at all check the battery connections.

Which reminds me of an old mechanic's trick: crank the engine with the headlights on. If they dim the battery connections are solid. If they go out one (or both) of the connections are loose. This test requires a good battery and starter though.

Aug 12, 2010
P.G. County, Maryland
I feel there is a common misconception here. I guarentee you that a bad battery is NOT to blame, because i was jump starting my car. start other car, connect cables. Interior lights come on, warning blip sounds telling me my doors are open, ring around ignition comes on. Turn key and dash comes on. Turn all the way to START, and i get one, loud, electrical sounding CLACK. It sounds like a wire shorting, or a breaker tripping in your house. After this, all electrical components turn off, including door lights and... well... everything. It's like i dont even have a battery in my car, even my battery is attatched to another car thats RUNNING. after that i can't try again, i get no power. I only tried it once after that, but i had to disconnect the jumpers and wait a few minutes, then miraculously i re connected the cables and the same thing happened. CLACK, no power. I look at my phone and see the time, realize its freezing outside, say fuck it and go inside. lol