Loosing coolant....Need help?

sthmstr

May 29, 2008
Colorado
Car is a 1990 turbo with the 7mgte. No leaks in any areas, but the car seems to be expelling all its coolant. The coolant is overflowing from the overflow tank as if there's too much pressure in the system. The overflow bottle is full and I have to refill the coolant once a day. Any ideas? Thanks!

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I would check the radiator cap and pressure test the coolant system for leaks. But, most of the time when it does this:

::bhg::

A NAPA block tester will confirm the presence of exhaust gas in the coolant system and a BHG.

ft413

learner
Sep 23, 2008
EL
very true^^^
mine was doing the same thing when i bought it. i change every hose and still was losing coolant. did a block test and it turned out it was a bhg =/. hopfully its not the same case iwth you

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Check for the presence of coolant in the oil...a lot of times you will see a brown emulisification in the oil cap with a BHG. In any case, stop driving the car...any coolant in the oil will trash the bearings in short order.

sthmstr

May 29, 2008
Colorado
Hmm...... Bummer. I was hoping it would be smaller an issue. I was really thinkin an issue with pressure in the coolant system. It doesn't smoke and idles fine. Yesterday when I had it parked for a while it did it's thing with pumping coolant out the resevior and then the upper radiator hose seemed to shrink up like there was a vacuum. When I removed the radiator cap it expanded back to normal size.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
A cap tester is the best way. You could just buy a new cap as well.
I would still have the system pressure tested...pretty sure you can get a loaner at AutoZone or take it to a radiator shop.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
It means the cap's vacuum valve isn't sealing although the pressure valve portion or it's seal would also have to fail to allow coolant purging. Do as jdub suggested. Also check both the rad neck upper and lower sealing surfaces. Since you didn't provide enough info for a more thorough diagnosis it's still sort of a crap shoot though...

sthmstr

May 29, 2008
Colorado
I certainly do appreciate the help and advice. I was thinking that it is likely an issue of pressure. I will try the Cap first then work my way through the rest of the sytem. Thank you for your help!!!

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
A BHG is a issue of pressure, as in the exhaust gasses will pressurize your coolant system(coolant overflowing), but do as the elders say, you may have a chance yet:icon_bigg

sthmstr

May 29, 2008
Colorado
Ok so got another radiator cap(had it layin around and remember it being good). Same issue. Also when I started it I sat for a few waiting for it to warm up and oculds hear sloshing sounds from the dash. When I gave it gas it seemed to respond accordingly by sounding like it was now rushing water. Seems perhaps I have air pockets in the coolant? Hoping still it's not a BHG. Doesn't seem to be coolant in the oil when I checked the dipstick.

What else should I look for?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Did you check the oil cap like I suggested?

To confirm exhaust gas in the cooling system you will need a NAPA block tester. (like I already said)

sthmstr

May 29, 2008
Colorado
jdub;1314438 said:
Did you check the oil cap like I suggested?

To confirm exhaust gas in the cooling system you will need a NAPA block tester. (like I already said)

Sorry forgot to respond to that. Didn't notice any emulisification in the oil cap. Seemed to be just oil and no coolant. Also haven't been to a Napa. They all close at like 5pm here and I got off at 6. I'll likely not be able to go till Tuesday.

sthmstr

May 29, 2008
Colorado
grimreaper;1314507 said:
go to autozone, open till 10 usually, and rent the tool. You have to buy the fluid though ($7).

Super cool! I will do so after work tonight! Thanks a bunch!

sthmstr

May 29, 2008
Colorado
Well all my wishing and wanting was in vain. Looks like BHG is name of the game. The engine has over 200k miles so it's really on it's last leg anyways. I think it's gonna be just rebuild time since I got it all apart anyways.

Thanks everyone for all your help!!