looking to do a 2jz swap

Kevin0393

Oct 29, 2011
PA
ive been thinking about swapping my 7mgte to a 2jz-gte my supra is a 1987 automatic if i buy it from jdmenginedepot.com what else do i need to complete the swap?

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I am in the middle of getting all my parts from Drift Motion and it is looking close to $3k at least for all the parts I need and sending in the harnesses to be married. This is not including the $2k motor or shipping for everything.

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
I'm currently doing a 1jz swap and what is said above is true. Double everything
paid 1k$ for my 1jzgte (it is in MINT condition and compression is perfect) without ecu/igniter/map sensor/trans
now I'm up to 3.3k$ but I have all the parts (and there was some freebies and a few steal-deal).

The worst is extending the harness but to mate it with your body harness is a piece of cake

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Where did you get your motor from? I am trying to find a reputable place to get one. I have a 2JZ sitting here in the driveway but it needs more parts then I want to replace to make it usable. Going to end up parting it out.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Plan to spend a lot more than you think you will. Be super careful with buying used engines. Several years ago, back when I had a 7M in my MKIII, I had to send 2 engines back because the ones that were sent were in horrible condition. If your current 2JZ is rebuild-able, I would go that route. Then at least you know the bearings are new, the gaskets are new, rings are new. Don't cheap out on the most important component.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
The one I have is rebuildable yes, but, I would have to give him 1200 for the engine, plus purchase all the parts that I would need to make it usable. For example, it needs the following that I know for sure
cam gears, valve covers, map sensor, ignitor, all belts, most of the hoses, all 6 coils....
That stuff alone is over $1000. Then add in the price I would have to pay him and I would be over the price of shipping one in used that would at least have everything on it. I will send back 10 engines until the company gets me one that is worth it if I have to. I am not on a time crunch on this one. Just a budget crunch. Been saving and selling, swapping and trading....

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
I didn't realize you needed so much stuff. I can tell you that if I got a used engine I would have new rings, bearings, hone, and fresh valve job done while I had her out of the car. If you don't you will be pulling her out again in the near future to finish a job that should have been done before install. Who knows how long that engine has been sitting in a shed somewhere? Or how many miles are on it, or if the guy who had it before ever changed the oil like he should? Just my 2 cents.
If you go to Supraforums, you can find all those parts for less than $1K. I have watched daily for the deal I got on my HKS DLI, old Titan fuel rail, etc. Deals are out there if your not in a hurry.
You are should replace all the hoses/belts and most of the gaskets before install anyway. If you don't your asking for a lot of extra work. Don't cheap out on a non Toyota set of gaskets.
BTW, I just sold a set of 50K coils for $150, plus I have an ignitor for sale, $80. Cam gears are cheap because everyone has aftermarket gears. A map sensor, used less than 100 bucks, valve covers, all readily available.
Whats the known history on the engine you already have? I bet you can rebuild it, use new Toyota gaskets, valve job, and all the parts for not much more than the 5K your ready to spend, plus you will have a fresh engine. Your way, you will have $5K in an unknown engine with old gaskets, ? bad valves and ? compression. Been there before, good luck. And yes, the swap is worth it, but it will take longer and cost more than you think.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
leecheater;1854752 said:
I didn't realize you needed so much stuff. I can tell you that if I got a used engine I would have new rings, bearings, hone, and fresh valve job done while I had her out of the car. If you don't you will be pulling her out again in the near future to finish a job that should have been done before install. Who knows how long that engine has been sitting in a shed somewhere? Or how many miles are on it, or if the guy who had it before ever changed the oil like he should? Just my 2 cents.
If you go to Supraforums, you can find all those parts for less than $1K. I have watched daily for the deal I got on my HKS DLI, old Titan fuel rail, etc. Deals are out there if your not in a hurry.
You are should replace all the hoses/belts and most of the gaskets before install anyway. If you don't your asking for a lot of extra work. Don't cheap out on a non Toyota set of gaskets.
BTW, I just sold a set of 50K coils for $150, plus I have an ignitor for sale, $80. Cam gears are cheap because everyone has aftermarket gears. A map sensor, used less than 100 bucks, valve covers, all readily available.
Whats the known history on the engine you already have? I bet you can rebuild it, use new Toyota gaskets, valve job, and all the parts for not much more than the 5K your ready to spend, plus you will have a fresh engine. Your way, you will have $5K in an unknown engine with old gaskets, ? bad valves and ? compression. Been there before, good luck. And yes, the swap is worth it, but it will take longer and cost more than you think.

Completely agree. When I got my 2jzgte the head gasket and oil pump were bad. Didn't take the engine to much longer to go bad as well and needing rebuilt.