Looking for some guidance. Smoking when warmed up. Warning choo choo train ahead.

7mLove

Addict
Nov 11, 2009
Barksdale AFB, Louisiana United States
Okay fellas I've narrowed it down to what i think is either a blown turbo or bad valve stem seals but I am open to suggestions. The video doesn't really pick up the color but the smoke is definitely oil. So the car smokes only when warmed up and i can pretty much clear out the smoke by giving it a few revs but it always come back. I've just changed every single vacuum line one at a time so i was sure not to mix any up. the turbo is pretty new as is the motor (maybe 8k on both) shaft play on turbo feels normal and i cant really tell if there is in and out play but from my eye it looks like there might be a slight amount. not looking for a hand me out just some guidance on which route to take in terms of getting a proper diagnosis since the valve stem seals (IMO) are a pain in the bottom. Thanks for taking the time to look!

http://youtu.be/9XutLCiLnSQ

7mLove

Addict
Nov 11, 2009
Barksdale AFB, Louisiana United States
No oil present on the elbow did that already and sometimes it smokes on startup but only ever so often I'm gonna have to just dive into the valve train compression is solid across the board now what's the best way to go about this stuff rope in the cylinder or use compressed air. I have a good mhg no way I'm separating this unicorn seal

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Not oil "on" the elbow, rather inside it. As in oil might be seeping past the turbo seals out the turbine side.
I did the rope in cylinder just because my luck my air hose would bust, lose cylinder pressure, and drop a valve.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I had the problem of slight oil at startup, then oil after a heavy accel/decel.
Turned out that two of my valve stem seals had popped off the guides, and were simply riding up and down on the valve stems.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
That "popping off the guide" Is why I suggest a light tap or two after you push them on. With very light 8oz. hammer. Make sure you lube up the seal were it rides on the valves. IMO.

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
I just got done replacing my valve seals with the head on.....here is the thread I started..."Valve seal replacement without removing the head." This may help you out. Buying the valve keeper and removal tool will make the job much easier and I wouldnt do the job without it. Valve stem seal pliers are a waste of money....you can simply use a good pair of needle nose. Overall the job is a pain in the ass but not terrible...just time consuming.

My car would smoke a ton on start up.....I found one of my valve seals had come off the guide like supraguy