Looking for quality thermal/sound dampening coating?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
InFrnt0fU;1224998 said:
I'm talking about the sound dampening material that in under the carpet in the interior of the vehicle. This stuff looks perfect. Thanks man.

ah, my bad. I used the edead stuff in my car - went on very nicely. There are pics in my build thread.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
You can give this stuff a try:

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/thermal-acoustic-insulation/firewall.php?category=129

I've used the non-ceramic stuff on my engine bay and undercarriage and even my gas tank (and soon the entire interior). Really great product. Weighs next to nothing when dry since it is mostly water based. I think 8 gallons when dry is less than 50lbs, which is very impressive.

This is top of the line stuff and is very easy to apply. I've used both a spray gun and a brush with equally impressive results.

The stuff I used is called Spectrum.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/sound-deadener/spectrum.php

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
MarkIII4Me;1225060 said:
You can give this stuff a try:

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/thermal-acoustic-insulation/firewall.php?category=129

I've used the non-ceramic stuff on my engine bay and undercarriage and even my gas tank (and soon the entire interior). Really great product. Weighs next to nothing when dry since it is mostly water based. I think 8 gallons when dry is less than 50lbs, which is very impressive.

This is top of the line stuff and is very easy to apply. I've used both a spray gun and a brush with equally impressive results.

The stuff I used is called Spectrum.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/sound-deadener/spectrum.php

Now this is what I'm talking about. This spectrum product "sounds" perfect.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Haha it took me 2 days to remove all that asphalt crap off the metal to replace it with dynamat. Do it when its very cold this way it chips away much easier vs when its warm and soft thus more sticky. good luck, you have a great idea.

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
Pernilongo;1225598 said:
Haha it took me 2 days to remove all that asphalt crap off the metal to replace it with dynamat. Do it when its very cold this way it chips away much easier vs when its warm and soft thus more sticky. good luck, you have a great idea.

So don't use a heat gun just a big ass chisel and hammer, definitely sounds less messy. I think I'm gonna cut it into smaller pieces so it's more manageable. I'll have to wait till tomorrow to get started b/c I have beers to drink and the steelers to watch.

Spray on or paint on...Which is more effective?

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
InFrnt0fU;1226247 said:
So don't use a heat gun just a big ass chisel and hammer, definitely sounds less messy. I think I'm gonna cut it into smaller pieces so it's more manageable. I'll have to wait till tomorrow to get started b/c I have beers to drink and the steelers to watch.

Spray on or paint on...Which is more effective?

Oh yeah i did it with a screw driver, and some times even without a hammer. this material is rock hard ( which makes me ask, how does it absorb vibration?). Some areas are not even "glued" to the metal, you can simply lift them with your fingers. Floors are super easy to work with. transmission area is more sticky. Super hard metal brush helps a lot too. Don't forget rubber gloves, this asphalt marks very easily.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Don't use a chisel!! You don't want to disturb the paint on the steel below the asphalt material. Peel up as much as you can and then use a petroleum solvent (I used varsol with excellent results) to remove the rest. You end up using quite a bit of varsol and likely killing quite a few brain cells, but it removes everything from the floorboards.

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
adampecush;1226373 said:
Don't use a chisel!! You don't want to disturb the paint on the steel below the asphalt material. Peel up as much as you can and then use a petroleum solvent (I used varsol with excellent results) to remove the rest. You end up using quite a bit of varsol and likely killing quite a few brain cells, but it removes everything from the floorboards.

Why would it be a big deal to mess up the paint on the metal, its going to be completely covered by the sound dampening coating anyway?

I'll be starting work on it tonight. I plan on getting up as much as I can by prying/scraping it off, then finishing with wire brushing using the air compressor. I'm going to call the people at SecondSkin and listen to what they have to say about using it on direct metal or painted surface.