looking for building tips!

swirl

Aug 1, 2009
chambersburg
i got a 91 mk3 with 100,000 miles and im looking to build up the engine. anyone with some good ideas would be great full. thanks

Victor Charlie

Supramania Contributor
Aug 18, 2009
Ann Arbor
supra_holic2002;1460244 said:
it all depends on what your overall goal is. a drag car? drift car? dd? super car? lol that is wayyyy too vauge dude lol.

And budget. You are working on an 18 yo car with worn, oxidized rubber and if it's been anywhere with real seasons, there will be a lot of rusted bolts, some of which will snap. Remember there is rubber in the strut dampers, steering tube, bushings galore, in addition to a bunch of engine hoses and all the body gaskets. And that's just the rubber. You probably need to budget a lot just to get it back to specs and reliable, then add the additional cost of any mods. The mods will probably be less than the restoring and maintenance parts. You can upgrade with some of the maintenance jobs, but plan accordingly so all the systems get done. If you don't have a restored, reliable system, than mods will be a headache, and it will probably never be right.

swirl

Aug 1, 2009
chambersburg
i am replacing all the hoses. i had it looked over by my friends dad whos a mechanic. and i got money to spend if necessary to replace them. its in great codition.

dusthead

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERRRRR
Aug 10, 2009
New London, CT
supra_holic2002;1460244 said:
it all depends on what your overall goal is. a drag car? drift car? dd? super car? lol that is wayyyy too vauge dude lol.

+1
what is your HP goal? what are you going to do with it (daily driver, weekend warrior, drift, drag, etc)? how mechanically inclined are you?

searching in the buildup/gallery category for "rebuild" and "7mgte" or whatever specific to you brings up a lot.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Make a list of what you "want."

Make a list of what you can "afford."

Make a list of the "while you are there" tasks/work.

Then take your lists and combine. Note when you expect to have the parts available to do everything in that group together. For instance, you are replacing the clutch? That would be a good time to replace the rear main seal, etc.

Also, if you are taking the engine out at any point, do EVERYTHING you can to it while it is out. Also, address the engine bay (power steering rack, bushings), and the stuff that's hard to do with the engine in the way.

A70BoosTFienD

A.K.A. Knight Rider
Oct 28, 2008
Orlando, Florida, United States
Satan;1460441 said:
"while you are there"

if u ever take the motor out or the oil pan off for any reason make extra super sure u change that damn oil pump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...... two rod knock scenarios later i kick myself in the ass for neglecting to change it.

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-7m-gteoilpump.php

there is an upgrade for the oil pump pipe. they have a metal one but the stainless steel one is half the price. :naughty:

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-7moilpumphose-8an.php

swirl

Aug 1, 2009
chambersburg
thanks for all the info guys.. im looking for around 5 to 600 hp. its going to be a daily driver. i am very mechanically inclined just looking for some idess