Looking for advice after failing CA smog check

slidahz

Feb 19, 2013
San Diego, CA
Thought I'd give you guys an update since today I finally passed!!!! Turns out EGR cooler wasn't even there and the exhaust return was blocked off. Effectively EGR was not working at all. Don't ask how the previous smog check passed...

Here are the new results:

15mph
%CO2: 14.7
%O2: 0.0
HC(ppm): 21 (max 85)
CO(%): 0.04 (max 0.49)
NO(ppm): 82 (max 533)

25mph
%CO2: 14.8
%O2: 0.0
HC(ppm): 13 (max 57)
CO(%): 0.01 (max 0.40)
NO(ppm): 142 (max 491)

Thanks again for all the help guys. Next project is to replace the shocks/springs!

slidahz

Feb 19, 2013
San Diego, CA
jetjock;1937870 said:
Good you got it resolved but based on what you found the above would not have been possible...

Well they passed the individual TSRM tests for each of those items. It was the EGR system vacuum test which I mentioned didn't pass. After installing the EGR cooler the EGR vacuum test passed perfectly.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
TSRM aside, opening the valve while observing the effect is EGR testing 101. It's what smog techs do as a functional check. How could it have done that if EGR flow was blocked? Doesn't make sense. Ah well, such is the problem of trying to help people fix cars through this little cable...

slidahz

Feb 19, 2013
San Diego, CA
jetjock;1937889 said:
TSRM aside, opening the valve while observing the effect is EGR testing 101. It's what smog techs do as a functional check. How could it have done that if EGR flow was blocked? Doesn't make sense. Ah well, such is the problem of trying to help people fix cars through this little cable...

Maybe I wasn't clear in my explanation above. EGR cooler wasn't there and only one of the block off plates was installed (left side if facing the front of car). The other exhaust return hole (right side) did not have a block off plate... so ambient air could still get sucked through EGR valve.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Ah, I see. So when you opened the valve it sucked in ambient air. I'm curious though, how do you account for not seeing missing parts and plugged/open ports after studying how the system works? Got some kind of eye trouble? :icon_razz

slidahz

Feb 19, 2013
San Diego, CA
jetjock;1937892 said:
Ah, I see. So when you opened the valve it sucked in ambient air. I'm curious though, how do you account for not seeing missing parts and plugged/open ports after studying how the system works? Got some kind of eye trouble? :icon_razz

Actually, I am getting lasik done end of this month. Must be the eyes :icon_bigg

Boy was I shocked when I stuck a wire into the hole where the EGR valve connects to the head, only to see my wire do a 90 degree turn and come right back out.