Looking for a Stout hood for an 89 supra.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
JCFsupraman;1951790 said:
Yeah that's the one.

Now what is the difference between the carbon fibre and the "cheap alternative" FRP besides the almost $300 in savings to go FRP?

Anyone have both and can offer an opinion from personal experience? wear, quality, fitment.

Any reason that they're saying it's for a 90+ MK3 with the 1jz and not the 89+ since sizing didn't change as far as I know. Must not like the 7m-gte much. An 89 running a 2jz-gte should be similar enough for them...lol

I only have a carbon stout replica hood, but from experince of having other parts, both carbon and frp, the carbon version of the hood might be slighty lighter than frp. Otherwise, carbon vs. frp is just a matter of personal preference.

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
I have a I think is genuine stout hood ( bought 2nd hand from Japan) its fiberglass fitment is poor even worse against the s2 style fenders.

Whole thing is starting to separate from the skeleton but to be fair it has hit the windscreen a few times when using a hood prop in the wind *cant use the hood struts.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
wow so no hood struts and it requires hood pins

well it looks like RHD Japan is the only retailer and the question is light cf or slightly heavier frp. Does one last longer than the other or does one take paint better?

Aku

And The Boost Goes On
Feb 24, 2010
Irvine, CA
JCFsupraman;1952014 said:
wow so no hood struts and it requires hood pins

well it looks like RHD Japan is the only retailer and the question is light cf or slightly heavier frp. Does one last longer than the other or does one take paint better?
I don't know about the orginal Stout, but I believe the replica came with a hook to be used with the factory hood latch assembly. Mine is shaved since the latch weighs a substantial amount for it's size. Pins are still highly recommended regardless of use of the latch or no latch. Hood struts would be a custom install but are doable on either. My painted hood is carbon fiber and has held up well against normal wear and tear that front body panels encounter(rock chips etc).

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
Mine uses the hood latch hit the window beeing a poser with my hood poped using a prop and gust of wind delt to it

Aku

And The Boost Goes On
Feb 24, 2010
Irvine, CA
mytmk3;1952047 said:
Mine uses the hood latch hit the window beeing a poser with my hood poped using a prop and gust of wind delt to it

Yikes! Good to know since I've been using a prop as well, sorry to hear it caused damage though. :icon_eek: