Looking for a reliable/fun daily driver

blackgraz

Racecar Driver
Nov 13, 2006
DFW Texas
HA yeah thats more like the MR2 price ranges i really would like one of thoes.
Im kinda in the same boat as matt I got about $3500 comming from a student refund check. i got two options, use that money to do a GTE swap on my car (i dont even know if 3500 is gonna be enuff) or buy some cheap 4 banger DD and use some of it to buy parts for my supra to start the swap.

I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!

edit: btw VWs are NOT cheap they have a high resale value :(

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
Alright guys, the MR2 fell through, long story short, the owner was shady.

I've decided to go with a Civic, they're decently priced, reliable, and great on gas. I'm looking at 2 tomorrow, I'll let you guys know.

-Matt

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
badcommentgottoyota.jpg

:D

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
GotToyota? said:
I'm sticking with the Civic idea, if you have any positive comments let me know.

I think the Civic is the perfect car for the college student (or anyone) on a budget. They are fun to drive, dirt cheap to operate, and are insanely reliable. It's a very smart choice.

There's nothing wrong with the Civic. Just don't do this shit:

rice-boy-civic2.jpg

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
You're kidding, right? :nono:

I'm one of the biggest anti-rice people you'll ever meet.

There's one I'm looking at that has 5Zigen wheels and is lowered, but it's very clean.

-Matt

Push

Cressida
Aug 28, 2005
Naperville, IL
I would have to suggest buying a Hyundai Tiburon... 97-01' Models... Great cars and more fun then a Civic... Seriously! I own one! I didn't choose to buy it, I got it pretty much for free, and have fallen in love with it. My favorite daily driver ever! Besides the Cressida of course ;) Which never runs because its 7mgte...

Silvermk2

MkII Weenie
Apr 4, 2005
Stockton, CA
My recommendation is what I use for my daily driver 93-97 Corolla. They are boring, but extremely reliable, cheap, easy to work on, roomy, gets great gas mileage etc. Civics are nice but you'll have to buy several years older than the equivalent Corolla. If you get a Prizm they are even cheaper than the same Corolla.

I paid $3000 for my 94 ~3 years ago and I've put just a little under 50000 miles on it now. It get 30-35 mpg no matter how I drive. The ony problems I've had with it are the rear view mirror broke and the clutch master cylinder went out. Total cost about ~$40. The parts on a Corolla are about a 1/3rd of what they are on the Supra as well.

Old sports cars for daily drivers will eat you alive unless you have deep pockets.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
im surprised the Subaru Impreza hasn't popped up yet! The N/A 5 speeds are fucking tight, as long as you don't make big power on the 5 speed (they tend to fail with 2nd gear at around 350 AWHP) but that shouldn't be an issue as the 2.2L or the 2.5L won't make that power any time soon. I love mine and i would recommend it to my family. Rock solid reliability to boot, and parts aren't crazy expensive either.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
MR2's are nightmares to work on (there is one coolant hose that is lovingly named "the hose from hell") and their trannies suck (later models are fixed though)

sad to see you out of the supra game, but a civic is great (I'd own one). They have a HUGE aftermarket so if you do decide to go fast in one it's pretty cheap...

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
Poodles said:
MR2's are nightmares to work on (there is one coolant hose that is lovingly named "the hose from hell") and their trannies suck (later models are fixed though)

sad to see you out of the supra game, but a civic is great (I'd own one). They have a HUGE aftermarket so if you do decide to go fast in one it's pretty cheap...
there are 2 hoses, and they're only from hell on the 3sgte's. He was looking at a NA. also the hose from hell isn't that bad to reach on the mr2's. the alltrac celica's are hard as hell, but not too bad once you got the turbo off.

blackgraz

Racecar Driver
Nov 13, 2006
DFW Texas
WERD on looking at thoes civics. Just think maybe the money you dont have to spend on fixing it all the time, and the gas you save. MAYBE youll have enough money to find a good deal on another supra and be able to spend money on that again :)

E

E13ctron

my civic with a k20 is my dd and i love it. the powerband is amazing. but its definately not a 3500 daily driver =x

for 3500, you could get a nice, reliable, gas saver civic. 32+mpg =)

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
For 3500 you could get a damn nice MkIV or maybe MKV Celica. 35-40MPG, pretty fun to drive, mine has 285xxx and it's still running strong.