Looking at an '88 for sale...opinions?

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Sorry but most of us don't have 3 liter Honda eaters, we have Supras. I personally don't build or work on mine to be able to beat certain types of cars. I leave that for the Mustang group. I build mine for enjoyment.

frythan

Aug 11, 2012
Clearfield Utah
Just an expression. But if the guy responds I'm going to go look at the 88 tomorrow. Tell him I'll offer 3 because of the high miles and the (pretty high) possibility of the engine blowing. Then do a rebuild. Or save up for a 2JZ swap. If he doesn't, there's a 1990 with no engine that I may be able to get ahold of.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ideally if I was just getting into the game, I would buy the cleanest shell I could find. Standard and Targa. (no tranny or engine... diff would be necessary, but have to be LSD (from turbo car).
That's how I would start if I was at day 1 with what I know now. From there it would be a 5 year build with a total interior tear down, subframe drops and rebuilds. Would build the engine from scratch with a good block/crank/head, find a rebuilt R154, plan on stand alone from day 1 and just go to town.

Probably run about 12-15k in parts by the time I was done (that may be a little low), but I would have a proper car bumper to bumper. I find the biggest hill I had to climb was the body. The second biggest was the drivetrain, but it had the most options and paths open. Wanted 2j (single tubo), but ended up with a built 7M purely by accident and happy to be stuck there.

All depends on what your dream is with the car. The more time you have, the better. You can't beat a good shell though.. very hard to find up North where I live...

frythan

Aug 11, 2012
Clearfield Utah
That's what I was thinking about as well...I just need to make sure I'll have a place to keep a shell though...currently living with parents still because I can't afford to get out by myself. And they're splitting and may sell the house. SO, that's my concern. This 88 seems clean enough in the pictures that a rebuild on the engine, and a good thorough inspection of everything might yield the same results. With the shell I'd be replacing the interior as well. It's got the light blue and gray interior. Not. A. Fan.
But yeah it will be a good few years before I'll have one good enough to go spank my mustang owning friends in the ass.

I just noticed the shell had 86k miles on it....at least that's what is listed...

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
If you are not happy with the interior, then don't get it. Don't settle for something because it is there right now. Just wait a little longer for the car that makes you happy.