Look what I saved today.

So there has been this red 89 targa sitting under this shed thing on the side of the road for awhile now. The owner of the car was my wife's friend's brother. After talking a few times over the last couple months, I finally got a good price and worked out a deal. The wife and I went down to the car with 2 bottles of Windex and 2 rolls of paper towels. Needless to say, it has the normal wear and tear of a sitting supra. The clear coat is peeling. and that's really about it! The mud guards are even in perfect condition! no rot or anything. The interior is in great condition (except for the cracked dash). I can't get pictures of the interior because the key is in Texas waiting to be mailed to me.
So tell me what you think.

BEFORE
0411001916.jpg

!!!AFTER the Windex wash!!!
0411002009.jpg

0411002009a.jpg

0411002009b.jpg

0411002010.jpg

0411002010b.jpg

and the clear coat peel
0411002010c.jpg

0411002010d.jpg

0411002011.jpg

we would have washed it, but it was to far from the hose, and he's not living at the place the car is at.
it's hard to explain.
I'll wash it right whenever I get it towed back to our house later this month.
it's effing clean for sitting for so long.
and considering we only used Windex. haha
all in all, my wife is the bomb for letting me pick this up.
and even more bomb for helping me clean it!

Last edited:

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
if it was me, i would check the under body of the car, and if its been sitting for month like that on top of dirt and grass, all the condensation and vaporation would be building up and making the under body go soft, i did that to one of my cars and the under body of the car went super soft, that it needed repairs, but all depends too, but other than that, car looks good condition, i would say get it

Suprasonic19;1547947 said:
Whats the story behind it and why its been sitting? Hopefully nothing major.

The story is... It has a spun rod bearing in the 7mge. other than that, it ran perfect.

Suprasonic19;1547947 said:
Way to save a Supra!!
Thanks!!! i hate seeing such a perfect car go to waste like that. I always drove by it and told it that I would rescue it if funds would allow.
and finally, i can take it home.

Chard;1548048 said:
parting out maybe?
maybe. I don't have enough posts to sell anything here yet.
what would you be interested in if I did?
*EDIT* scratch that. I do have enough posts to sell now.

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

bmoss85;1548057 said:
Good save, now put a 2j in it.

Seriously considered it. But I just built my 7m and now I'm broke because of it.

ixelerate;1548474 said:
Did you windex the paint? lol...

yeah. I know, i know... the ammonia is bad for the paint. but it's going to get a fresh coat of red and then a new clear coat. The Windex was also watered down.
It was just so dirty that I had to check what condition the body was in. And there was no hose near by. The key is in texas so we couldn't roll it anywhere.

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

supraphoenix;1548553 said:
love the wingless look!

keep them both! put the wifey in the supra and your good to go!!

she wants a right hand drive nismo 300zx 2+2... she had her nismo 350z and it was awesome, but her dad bought her a lexus gx470 and traded the nismo in for a new bmw x5 twin turbo diesel for her mom. she's talked about getting a supra though. mk3 all the way

Last edited:

ixelerate

Mar 11, 2010
Ohio
awsbakerordie;1548857 said:
yeah. I know, i know... the ammonia is bad for the paint. but it's going to get a fresh coat of red and then a new clear coat. The Windex was also watered down.
It was just so dirty that I had to check what condition the body was in. And there was no hose near by. The key is in texas so we couldn't roll it anywhere.

Ha well just rubbing dirt into paint with a paper towel and windex is ok if you're repainting it! I figured there would be an explanation

I wasn't planing on making this the build thread for the car. Just wanted to share what I found. But just because you wanted an update... I stripped all of the interior except for the dash and carpet. I swapped it over to my 87 that is being built. I even have pictures of the process on there. Page 3 I think. I plan to strip the paint, paint it black, install the shadow gray interior that I have collected up over the past 2 years, and install a 2j. I already pulled the 7mge out of it. Just need to collect funds again. Probably start it next fall/winter.