Lol am I missing a part that bolts on the head?

Ratrodtaylor

Jan 24, 2013
Utah
I recently bought an 87 7mgte supra with a blown head gasket, so i tore it apart and now i'm putting it back together but i came across this situation of either I'm missing a part that bolts to the head or nothing goes there but i can't remember and i can't find a part that i have that would even go there. so i need some help here lol. here are some pictures i found online but most of them have nothing bolted there either. I only found one picture that actually had something but it seems like it is just a cover-plate? (Last Picture)
head1.jpghead2.JPGhead4.jpghead3.jpg

Ratrodtaylor

Jan 24, 2013
Utah
the EGR valve goes on the side of the head though right? not over the hole that is on the back? cause i think i tried the egr valve but found that it goes on the side hole if i am remembering right. is it fine to run without that valve? what exactly does it do? I may need to take you up on the plate because i'm betting my machine shop took it off and forgot to give it back because i don't remember unbolting anything from the back of the head, and i'm betting they don't have it still.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The plate is the egr cooler.

Egr is exhaust gas recirculation. You need it to pass emissions.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yes it would need a block off plate on both the head and intake.

Blocks exhaust coming out of the head. And so there isnt a giant hole on the intake for vac/boost leaks.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
The exhaust port is blocked at the head already, and I see a block off plate on the intake manifold where the EGR valve would go.

Therefore, the EGR is removed and the exhaust and intake leaks are blocked. Ready to run a JDM ECU, but really... I'd run the EGR myself.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Yes, you're missing your egr cooler plate thingy, but you need to verify that you have the egr valve itself.
The plate simply acts as a channel for the exhaust gases to move from the right side of picture 2(where the rightmost blockoff plate is),
to the open hole on the left side. That gas then goes into the egr valve, and is passed through it(under certain conditions) up to the back
side of the intake manifold, where you see the blockoff plate next to the ecu in pic #2.

Ratrodtaylor

Jan 24, 2013
Utah
hahaha thanks. ya i do have the EGR Valve so it sounds like i need to call the machine shop and hope that they still have the cooler. thanks very much for all your input this saves me tons of headache. oh and just in case they don't have it, does anyone know a good place online or local to get one? or a part number?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
what you have there is a JDM head with an EGR blockoff plate already installed (right/passenger side of head). The EGR cooler is a plate that covers the entire back of the head - you have to remove that little block plate to install it.

Ratrodtaylor

Jan 24, 2013
Utah
sorry i guess i didn't really clarify but those pictures aren't of my engine they are just pictures i found online when i was trying to find a pic of what went there.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Ratrodtaylor;1910289 said:
nevermind I think I found a part # for the EGR cooler. part # 2568142010 correct me if i'm wrong.

If you don't want to spend dealer prices for a plate, shoot me a PM, I've got a couple with new gaskets that I'll let go on the cheap.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Emissions requirements ran out on my '88 here in Georgia this year, but just like my '86 MR2, I'll be running full emissions regardless.
I think it's silly not to on a road car. After all, it doesn't kill performance at all, and I don't think it impacts mileage much either.