linux thread???

winsauce

they call me cotton jr
Sep 17, 2010
Dayton, OH
new linux user here... working with the 10.10 Ubuntu version.

anyone else out there using this os? any tips? last week i was fooling around with the aem install disk written for pc. made my day to get it to run on linux through a program i found called "wine" basicly allows you to run windows programs as an emulator.

i dont know much about linux, i was pretty good with windows but i like the invurnibility to virisus that mac users have had all along... thats my $.02

and did i mention its 100% free

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Think you can help out with some explanation on using wine? I have linux, love it, worked some driver issues but still having problems with the wine app :(

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Had a Gentoo box, but it died (was a box put together with old parts, so it's flakey). Fun experience having to learn as I didn't care for any of the easy installers that are like Windows...

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
i used 10.10 on my laptop for awhile before it finally croaked.

It's fairly intuitive.

macs aren't invulnerable to anything seriously it's actually more than easy to wipe out a mac than you'd think. :)

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
7Matt-GE;1673392 said:
macs aren't invulnerable to anything seriously it's actually more than easy to wipe out a mac than you'd think. :)

QFT. Hate that people think macs are error free and safe...mac has more security flaws than windows does out of the box...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
7Matt-GE;1673392 said:
i used 10.10 on my laptop for awhile before it finally croaked.

It's fairly intuitive.

Focused attack on any computer can take it out.

SupraMario;1673393 said:
QFT. Hate that people think macs are error free and safe...mac has more security flaws than windows does out of the box...

BUHAHAHAHAHAH, um, NO. Keep thinking that, but it's wrong.

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
Poodles;1673405 said:
Focused attack on any computer can take it out.

BUHAHAHAHAHAH, um, NO. Keep thinking that, but it's wrong.

no, but you must understand. Apple even put out an advertisement stating it was completely invulnerable to viruses (I.E. im a mac commercials) they focus their attacks on windows machines simply because it has more market share. more money, more demand. if that balance should tip the scale in macs favor you could see an increase in virus potential which mac has limited security for at this point.

although i could argue day and night about the security potential windows has these days over linux and mac. i will keep that for another thread or PM if you wish. :)