Like These Rims?

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
Poodles;1532500 said:
THis hate is retarded. Especially on Japanese wheels they have standards that all wheels must achieve meaning that even the cheap wheels are good. More than likely the "real" wheel would have bent too.

They're WHEELS, having rare wheels is really cool until you get in a wreck or bend one (SHIT HAPPENS). Ask IJ what he thinks about wheels...

What?

First off, Rota, XXR, sport maxx, ect, are NOT Japanese. They are shitty china wheels imported by an American company. They pass absolutely no standards. They are gravity cast, which is the lowest quality, and than they shave off WAY too much material in an attempt to get forum guys to buy them because they are "light weight".

Second off, Japanese wheels do not HAVE TO pass any standards except basic road standards similar to American DOT laws. American DOT laws are basically a joke and only make sure that a wheel won't disintegrate while driving down a smooth road.

JWL, JAWA, VIA, and TUV are all standards that actually mean something. TUV is the only mandated standard, and it is only mandated in Germany.

Yes, all wheels are not impervious to damage. But "real" wheels will take A LOT more damage. It's rediculous to even suggest that a Rota could withstand the same type of impact damage a Volk could. Have you not seen the pictures of Rota's with the spokes completely sheared off? Have you seen a quality japanese wheel do this?

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Generally speaking their is some truth behind stereo types. Rota's poor quality didn't just come out of thin air. Are they better then they were? Probably... but compared to "real" wheels it's probably night and day.

smokemkevo

May 28, 2009
well thanks for the info.

i just dont see the point n spendin more money n my rims then wats almost n my car lol

thats rice, knock off rims r also rice lol > to each of their own.<

Cheers to all the ricers. sorry im drinkin. im 21 woot :p

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
tErbo b00st;1532646 said:
What?

First off, Rota, XXR, sport maxx, ect, are NOT Japanese. They are shitty china wheels imported by an American company. They pass absolutely no standards. They are gravity cast, which is the lowest quality, and than they shave off WAY too much material in an attempt to get forum guys to buy them because they are "light weight".

Second off, Japanese wheels do not HAVE TO pass any standards except basic road standards similar to American DOT laws. American DOT laws are basically a joke and only make sure that a wheel won't disintegrate while driving down a smooth road.

JWL, JAWA, VIA, and TUV are all standards that actually mean something. TUV is the only mandated standard, and it is only mandated in Germany.

Yes, all wheels are not impervious to damage. But "real" wheels will take A LOT more damage. It's rediculous to even suggest that a Rota could withstand the same type of impact damage a Volk could. Have you not seen the pictures of Rota's with the spokes completely sheared off? Have you seen a quality japanese wheel do this?

My reply was in the hate against enkei wheels. Oh,and yes, I've seen any number of thin spoke wheels broken completely off, all from wrecks. Unless they're rally style wheels they WILL break in an accident, and yes, hitting a brick in the road at highway speeds will destroy any wheel with a low profile tire on it.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
+1 on any wheel will be f*&#ed hitting a brick on a road at highway speeds. Just ask my brother. He totally screwed his Piaa Super Rozzas on his 350z. One wheel was worth more than my Rota's on my 280Z.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
tErbo b00st;1532646 said:

I'm positive I've seen a picture on here of a BMW cornering and its wheel is shattering. From the look of the picture it doesn't look like they'd skimp in the wheel department. Anyone know where to find this pic?

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
I was just answering your question "have you seen a quality Japanese wheel do this?"

While I'm not sure if it was JP or not, I'm pretty sure it was quality. You put it out there.

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
Clip;1532914 said:
I was just answering your question "have you seen a quality Japanese wheel do this?"

While I'm not sure if it was JP or not, I'm pretty sure it was quality. You put it out there.

Well now you are stating things to refute what I said with "I think" and "I'm pretty sure". This is how rumors spread on the internet. I work with BMW guys all day, and they can be just as cheap as import guys. They than come back a few months later trying to get warranty replacements because they bent a wheel on a pothole, while we never hear back from the guys that buy "quality" wheels...until they "get bored" of their current set haha.

BMW guys also buy what they THINK is a quality wheel because it says "forged", has a high price tag, and the company has a good photographer. Than they find out that the forgings are shitty forgings from China (a quality cast wheel, can be better than a shitty forged wheel) and have cast barrels. So just because the wheel looks quality, and is on a BMW, doesn't really mean anything.

And as Far as Enkei goes, Enkei is GREAT quality wheels...their Racing series at least (RPF1, PF01, etc). Their "tuning series" is a joke though.

And again, NO wheel is impervious to damage. But it is ridiculous to suggest that a Rota is as strong as a quality wheel. The reason I said a Volk wheel would not have been damaged is the mere fact that the Rota only had a bent lip and it still held air. That means the impact wasn't that bad, thus the Volk most likely would have rolled away unscathed. Emphasis goes on the "most likely"

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
tErbo b00st;1532495 said:
If you bent a Rota but it still held air, a "quality wheel" would not have bent.

There is no denying Rota and other "budget" wheel brands have poor quality, and are not near as strong as high quality wheels. "lightweight" QUALITY wheels are not light just from removing material. They are lightweight from removing material in key locations, as well as the ability to remove material by using a much stronger grain structure. An 18 lbs Volk is MUCH MUCH stronger than an 18lbs Rota. It's much stronger than a 26 lbs Rota.

you bought a wheel to save a buck, and are now driving on a bent wheel. good job

OK, someone took their tough guy pills today. Was I complaining? I don't think I was. Read my post again.
FWIW I have 215/45r17 tires. Not exactly "Low Profile", unless you're talking about hitting a cobblestone at 80mph. I feel my Rota held up quite well.

A "quality" wheel may not have bent, but it probably would have cracked at the very least.

I bought a wheel to save a buck, and I'm not driving on a bent wheel. Thank you, I have no problem doing so, why should you?

Seriously, save the attacks and take a chill pill.

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
supra90turbo;1532365 said:
I still haven't replaced it, don't really see the point, I got a new tire because it sliced the one that was on there pretty bad, but my only plan for that wheel is to put it on the RH rear where I don't look at it so much. haha

When the time comes, I'll search out another one, but from what I understand, the size I have is no more, so I guess I'll deal with it.

Doesn't this mean you are driving on it...or atleast plan to? Unless you bought a new tire so the car would sit in ur driveway...